• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

can i get a clam?

i have a 210 display tank that is 28" deep. i have 6 160 watt VHO bulbs over top. two actinic blue, two 50/50 white and two aquasun bulbs. that's about 4.5 watts per gallon. do you think i could keep a clam? anyone kept a clam under vho?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Squamos or deresa would work nicely on the bottom. If you get a maxima, I'd stick with the golden and not try any of the Ultra maximas or croceas, even up high on the rocks. The bright colored clams need intense lighting to keep their colors up.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I usually get mine from the LFS, but next ones will come from Clamsdirect.com. I have met Barry in person and he is great to talk to and very knowledgeable about clams. He has some of the best clams around and his shipping isn't bad either. I know Merv has gotten clams from so maybe he can give some more insight as tot he quality.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ILC is getting 200 clams in today/tomorrow. I'd go cherry pick from there!

I had my numbers wrong. It will be 30 boxes of corals in addition to the 200 clams! WOW! :eek:

Hey Chris,

I have a Derasa under VHO only. It's on the bottom of a 20" deep tank.

I have it about 2 months now and it is doing well. I got mine from Aquatic Obsessions. Last time I was there they had  one 5" Derasa left.

OF course if I had the chance to pick through 200, I'd consider heading down to ILC. I've been thinking about a Squamosa myself.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd be pretty scared of a 5' clam. That would be big enough to swallow my kids!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
T. gigas actually get in the 3-4' range, maybe even slightly larger. They are the largest of the Tridacna species.

what are some things i need to be concerned about with keeping clams? i have a pretty bad case of flatworms that i'm fighting. i have three six lines and a mandarin and i don't think any of them are eating the flatworms. i tried FWE but they came back. i think what i'm going to try next is to use the FWE and then two weeks later do it again. do you think it would be best to wait until after i do this to get the clam? do flatworms bother clams?

cmsurfr22 said:
what are some things i need to be concerned about with keeping clams? i have a pretty bad case of flatworms that i'm fighting. i have three six lines and a mandarin and i don't think any of them are eating the flatworms. i tried FWE but they came back. i think what i'm going to try next is to use the FWE and then two weeks later do it again. do you think it would be best to wait until after i do this to get the clam? do flatworms bother clams?

I'd wait, clams don't like to be bothered. I'm not sure that the flatworms will go there, but I'd play it safe.

Also, do some research because I think 6-lines are occasional clam nippers.

C

concept3

T. croceas have the brightest colorations and require the most intense light.  They naturally occur in the shallowest
waters in their natural habitat.  They secrete a calcium softening slime that allow them to bury themselves in the
rock work.  Their scutes are also the smoothest and are the slowest growers.

croceas.jpg

T. maximas are almost as light demanding as the croceas.  They occur, however at mid level to higher levels of the reef.
  These clams have very beautiful patterns and range from black to mottled to purple/gold and even teardrops.  their
growth is a little faster than croceas and they prefer to be in the rock work as well.

ultramaxima.jpg

teardropmaxima.jpg

Deresas, Squamosas and Gigas are bottom or sand dwelling clams.  Of the 3, squammies and Gigas have larger
scutes on their shells.  I do not recommend gigas at all because they can quickly outgrow a tank, not to mention their
calcium uptake.  Deresas are "eh" in terms of color, and squamosas can be very beautiful in their own rights. 
Squamosas have been known to grow from 4 inches to 9 inches in a little over 2.5 years, so be prepared for a bigger tank.

I treated a buddy's tank that was infested with flatworms.  He has a Deresa, Crocea and Maxima.  they all went
through the treatment fine.  We got all 3 at the same time, at roughly 3 inches.  Now the deresa is at 5 inches.  The
other two only grew to 3.5 inches in a little over a year.  Since you are clam-free right now, i would treat
the tank completely before getting the clams.  best to play it safe anyhows.

I've bought from Barry at clamsdirect.com 

I've been really happy with the clams from him, as a matter of fact, that lot of 4 clams in the first picture were
bought late last year.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My six line dose not bother my Clam it is 6" long. Buy the way I do not know what kind of clam it is any info would be great.
IMAG0003.jpg

My other clam only 2.5"
IMAG0035.JPG

If any one has any clams they would like to trade or sell at the Feb. Meeting let me know.
Daniel

EDIT: resized Daniel's HUGE GIGAS pic, LOL

C

concept3

daniel, that looks like a gigas. how long have you had it? they get pretty big FAST!

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
concept3.5 said:
daniel, that looks like a gigas.  how long have you had it?  they get pretty big FAST!
It will be 1 year this summer. I got it it was no more than 4"
Thank you for the info.
Daniel

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Giag require a HUGE tank. They can reach sizes of 3 foot in lenght. Also once they start getting over a foot or so, they don't handle being moved well at all.