• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can you guys post your home remedy reef keeping tips

Hey guys, I have read on different websites about people putting crazy things in their reef tank to speed up growth ect. Can you guys post anything other then commercial bought stuff. For example i read in a post here that people put vodka in their tanks? that sounds crazy to me, can someone explain what the benefit is to putting vodka in the tank? A guy told me he used to put sugar in his tank, but he might have been just busting my balls. I wish i had some secret method for an awesome tank, but i only been in the hobby for 2 years..so i got nothing.. I can tell you what Not to do, just from things i have that killed stuff in my tank..lol..

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
If you feel your having problems you should list your tank specs and water parms.
The only "miracle" remedy is proper maintenance and upkeep.Miracle Grow doesn't make a reef additive yet. ;D

reefsandrotts said:
If you feel your having problems you should list your tank specs and water parms.
The only "miracle" remedy is proper maintenance and upkeep.Miracle Grow doesn't make a reef additive yet. ;D

no problems, but i see all these additives to add to your tank to help your coral grow, so i was just wondering if there was a home remedy type of additive..

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
There used to be a bunch of home remedies but these days the companies products we used to use are using fillers that aren't reef safe like the mag flakes and pedlow.Some people I'm sure still have some secrets but I just use store bought now.

jtravapd said:
reefsandrotts said:

thanks..regardless im not putting vodka in my tank, i can barely keep everything alive using just water and salt..lolol..
lmao^

... If you want your coral to grow then the key i feel is stable parameters as mentioned above) adequate lighting for your corals needs,water changes so on and so on, replace your water with exact parameters of your tank. This is where i get a little to involved which my kh only fluctuates .25 on a daily basis. I use bionic 2part to keep kh and cal balnced, if you have a large enough skimmer to pull out nutrients just feed your fish heavy and there waste will provide food for corals. I run 6x54w t-5's over my 75 which is sps dominate and i get incredible growth and color. I also run a ati bm200 on 100g total water volume which is greatly over sized. you may need to look more deep into why you having trouble growing corals, if that's the case.. most additive products are not needed unless your coral/'s have specific needs. all corals grow at different rates. sorry if i got off topic but my tank shot below..i have heard of both of dosing metioned vodka and suger, i dont know enough about both but i have heard that after you stop dosing vodka you may expiernce a problem in color.. i read it on the forums a while back. i guess it's somewhat related to changed stablity of you tank. I will not put them in my tank.. google as much as you can and get alot of advice from diffrent people before you make a desion on dosing either, best advise i can give..

For me, good lighting, good water movement, good skimmer, partial water changes, and a calcium reactor. I try to keep my alkalinity close to 11dkh.
Ken

i think everyone misunderstood, im not having any problems , im actually having really good growth (for once)..i was just curious if people had any (old fashioned ways)of doing things....being im only in saltwater for 2 years, i wouldnt know of any tricks or tips for reef keeing..

Starting out without any knowledgs, i got the biggest tank i could buy (180), i think i got a good skimmer (evolution 750) with a mag12, and my lighting is 3 250 watt mh and 4 96 watt actnics.so far so good with everything. the only thing i question is if my skimmer is good enough for such a big tank..it seems to work fine, but then again, i wouldnt know what is right or wrong..lol...my fish are all alive so thats a plus..lol..