• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

can you mix diferent crabs

i would like to get a bunch of different crabs in my tank. currently i have an emerald crab, but i am would also like to get the following, would they all be ok together.

1. Sally Lightfoot
2. PomPom Crab
3. Spongy Decorator Crab
4. Porcelain Crab

are these OK together. i only have 1 clownfish right now, and a few snails and hermit crabs

i would like to get a bunch of different crabs in my tank. currently i have an emerald crab, but i am would also like to get the following, would they all be ok together.

1. Sally Lightfoot: will eat coral after all the algae is gone.
2. PomPom Crab:
3. Spongy Decorator Crab: will steal corals for camoflage. when the coral dies it will take another.
4. Porcelain Crab: ideally hosts in an anemone for protection.

are these OK together. i only have 1 clownfish right now, and a few snails and hermit crabs

all crabs are oportunistic feeders and will eat whatever they can catch when hungry, usually when their preffered food runs out. So mixing crabs make work for a while but in the end they may attack one another.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
A huge +1 to what Jeff just said.

People don't realize how large sally lightfoot crabs get and they are nasty feeders. I would pull one out immediately if you have one or just not get one.

Pom poms are great crabs for a nano. They are very reclusive and will not be visible in a large reef.

Decorator crabs: Exactly what Jeff said

Porcelain: I have one in my 57g without a nem. They are probably the most reef safe as they really are filter feeders and only use their claws for defense not for offense as most crabs do.

At this point I have a porcelain crab and a hawaiin strawberry because they are the most reef safe (IMHO) of the crabs. I won't stock anything else not even emeralds as I have leaned my lesson.

I agree with mnat. If I was going to have multiple crabs in a tank I would go with 2 or 3 porcelan crabs, they're the most reef safe and non-aggressive. Plus they typically will perch on a rock outcropping in an area with good flow and stick out their catchers mitts and feed. very cool to watch.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Porcelain crab are the safest. They really aren't crabs but related to lobsters. They only have 3 legs on each side.

Bob