• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can you visually see tank based chemical warfare? Hairy Mushroom Question

So, as I ramp up on the move to the 15g tank I noticed, yesterday, that one of the hairy mushrooms appears to be emitting some type of chemical(?) into the water column. Is that what I am seeing? I'm guessing that it is trying to take out my frogspawn and BTA?

I tried taking a movie yesterday and once the camera went into the water it stopped. Anyway, I noticed it today and I grabbed a quick video if someone was interested.

Also, I just did some research and it seems like these things can eat inverts?? That's crazy! It sounds like this might be a little too aggressive for my tank given they currently take up about a 1/4-1/3 of the tank.

Sorry, the video isn't great since I shot it with a 90mm lens freehand.

[video=youtube;FSRnxXaXkTQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSRnxXaXkTQ&hd=1[/video]

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Nikki was pulling a mushroom off of a rock and got stung. Soft corals have no skeleton so chemicals are their only defense and they can and will use them.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, that makes total sense, I just never knew that you could actually see the attack in action - so to speak.

I can sort of deal with the chemical warfare with carbon, I think(?), as long as they are not touching. But, what about them gobbling up inverts - is there any truth to this given the tank is pretty small? I hate to get rid of them since they have been the only inhabitants in this tank for the past 2 years or so and 1 small one grew into 3 big ones (about 4"-5" dia) and 3 small ones.

I've never seem my shrooms eat any inverts I do have a micromussa that ate one of my crabs one time mine do eat mysis shrimp that stray when I feed the rest of my corals I just dont think the shroom is fast enought to be able to catch any inverts before they could escape....