• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Captive Bred Regal Angelfish

Anyone have one of these? I’m curious to see how they do longer term, how the color up etc.. Are they yellow belly or gray variety? How long do they take to grow? Pictures welcome!

I too am curious. I asked the same question here months ago and got zero responses. If you want one, I know as of 2 weeks ago aquatic obsessions had one. It’s been there for almost 2 months and looks great. I bought a tank raised venustus and a majestic. Loving both. They will grow quickly as long as you feed often and a lot.

I saw that guy over there too but as he was a misbar, and a little more pricey, I just couldn’t pull the trigger. But I have been thinking about him ever since lol. I also just wanted some more info on how those CB guys were doing since it’s a big investment.

Agreed. But that price is the best I have seen. Most places want $400 - $500 and more for misbar. I can vouch that he takes good care of those fish. That is where I bought my venustus from and I do not regret it. I swear it has already grown significantly, just be prepared to be patient and not afraid to overfeed for the first few weeks. I would also recommend one of the tank raised goldflake angels. Solid fish.

Attachments

• 08CC0DBF-E035-426E-B500-6CC6EF3B68AB.jpeg
    08CC0DBF-E035-426E-B500-6CC6EF3B68AB.jpeg
    513.7 KB · Views: 15
  • E340DF04-44F8-4B2C-AC8C-AE603AB03665.jpeg
    E340DF04-44F8-4B2C-AC8C-AE603AB03665.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Our experience so far has not been great. We lost the one we got and it was in an 80g frag tank with minimal flow with 3 tank raised pink square anthias and a tank raised blotchy anthia. All the others did great, the regal not so much. They are so small, might have to give them some time. Jersey corals has a great price on them right now if you are still interested.

Anyone try adding a second tank raised angel to a tank with an existing angel? I am fighting off temptation to add a multibar to my existing venustus….

I haven’t tried that but I am curious about it as well. My plan would be to either get one regal angel, or do a multi and a venustus like you were thinking. I think it would be crucial to get them in the same tank together young.
Also, what’s everyone’s opinion about putting a regal in a 90 gallon? I’ve heard conflicting advice.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I had an adult regal (not huge) in my 4' 105g. It was ok but it looked big for the size of the tank. If I were to do it again I will do one venustus and one mult bar in that size tank.

Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of. I don’t want to stress it out over the long term in a tank that might not have e enough swimming room.