• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Carbon dosing/Biopellets

C

charterreefer

I am thinking about getting into this method of nutrient removal. How does this affect water changes since the nutrient load is under control?

Is it safe? Are there many problems/issues with doing it?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Assuming you follow directions, it's safe. You need to monitor N's and P's. And regardless of the method of carbon dosing/biopellets, you need to have a skimmer. If there is an imbalance in the ration of N's and P's, bacteria will stop multiplying, so you might need to adjust levels to keep it working. As far as water changes, it hasn't changed my water change schedule. Still do it, if for anything to maintain trace stuff.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Bringing up this old thread. I'm thinking of taking my ATS offline and running biopellets.

Any users have experience or updates on how thier system is holding up using them?

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Have been running biopellets for 4 years now. I would say I am happy. The key is to feed the tank a bit more than usual if you run biopellets. If not you run the risk of stripping system of nutrients and that would be devastating for SPS, if you have any.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
@Sunny has used biopellets forever.

I’ve done the same as well. You have to be cognizant of your nutrients when you start them in a running tank ( I believe calcium reactors and pellets should be added at the beginning). They will do nothing for a few weeks and can then strip everything to zero.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Also. The reactor is the key. I used reef octopus 110 and I hated them. I switched to a bashsea and they are running great now.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at getting a mini max reactor due to my limited space.

Right now I'm SPS-less that part I'm not worried about. What I don't wanna do is make my tank worse than what it is

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Not just sps. Zoa and softies awould suffer if you take it to zero too fast.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Now i get how they work, I have just never done any type of carbon "dosing " before

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Yea thats too big for me, remember I have an AIO. The IM should be ok for my size tank