• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Caulerpa going sexual ... now what?

Hey, all. I discovered this morning little small white dots flying off my caulerpa all over the tank. I removed the plant from my tank ... so now what do I do? ??? I read different forums and some people recommend dumping it, others say you should just trim it and put it back.
I also noticed this morning, that one of my chromis was breathing very heavily and acting weird and toadstool looked very sad. Could caulerpa cause this? ??? My skimmer was not working on top of it (it stopped producing bubbles last night). Any thoughts?

i would trim it do a water change and run the skimmer wet..

also as i have read, Caulerpa taxifolia (feather) it seems that if you have the Wild plant it is able to spawn like this. i have gathered is the Aquarium Version has only Male cells and cannot reproduce

Yes. It is a wild version. It was shipped from Florida and was collected in a wild. I bought a small cup full of it because my coral beauty wouldn't take any food. I was hoping she will eat it all up quickly.
Where can I find an Aquarium Version. I haven't heard about it.

This used to occur in my sumps as well...
and would constantly foul my water column...
It would export everything that it absorbed right back into the tanks....
So I got rid of all of it and only use cheato...
which does not go sexual.... easier to maintain....
Good luck... water change, carbon, heavy skimming...
Get it out, Nuke it and dispose of it properly....
And get some cheato....

I tried cheato ... it wouldn't grow in my sump. I tried it in DT and couldn't get it to attach to anything. It was rolling around until gone completely ... ??? Any tricks on how to attach it?

tbone212371 said:
I just keep it in my center section of my sump and the baffles keep it in there...
But Yes it just floats....

This might work for me. ;D Can you post a photo? I don't know how to attach a light to my sump and what kind to use. I am limited on a space under my tank. Thank you for your input. :D

Here is my cheato doesn't really tumble anymore.

fugefeb09.jpg

my cheato (thanks to jr) is very similar. Today I caught my astrea snail walking across the top of the ball.... ;D ;D

That meant to me it was time to trim. When it gets solid mass like that - it traps more detritus then I like....

Luckly doesn't collect much junk but... Hawk is right....I found it helps with PH swings better too when it has room to grow.

whitebear1020 said:
I tried cheato ... it wouldn't grow in my sump. I tried it in DT and couldn't get it to attach to anything. It was rolling around until gone completely ... ??? Any tricks on how to attach it?

If you can find a shower suction cup mounted rack (like an oversized soap dish) made of plastic, you can attach it and keep the cheato in that. Usually ones made for the shower have drainage holes and provide enough water movement.