• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ceriantharia (tube) Anemonies?

I was considering getting one for my tank. Has anybody on here had one in there tank?
Are there any downsides to having one my tank?

Also are there any places around here to get one or are there any LFS's that will special order it?

Absolutely Fish in Clifton alway seems to have them.

I've never owned one, but:

Pluses: Fairly hardy, hardier than some commonly sold anemones. Very colorful

Minuses: Somewhat strong sting, may harm fish. Not really an anemone, it's a worm. Not an actual reef creature, more of a mud bottom thing.

I have one, appears to be doing well. Very active. Doesn't crawl around, like an Anemone ... but pops in and out of his tube. Almost looks like it glows ...

I've never actually seen one at AF. But House of Fins (Greenwich CT) usually has a few nice ones. I paid $65.

1621_25_03_09_11_43_02.jpg

They are so neat. I think I am going to order one soon. Did you buy that one from the store in ct as well? I can't tell, but do they both have their tube intact?

Got the new one at Absolutely Fish last night ... they have a few left (orange ones). Yes, they have their tube ... I just fed the purple guy ... very aggressive! WOW.

Sorry, moved fishcam (pointint to Cichlid tank now) ... will move again later.

I have one in my 210 he has been through many upgrades. Very hardy and has a hefty appetite. It is a great addition to a tank. Just be careful where it is places he will sting corals hard and soft. He is usually the 1st thing that I am asked about when someone new sees my tank. Mine is purple with a bright green center.

tube001.jpg

One day I was in a store and asked about one. The girl said if I wanted it it was mine.she said it had been around the store for six years. So , I took it. Very dark purple with white highlights. It eats all the time from flakes to fresh fish. It has never bothered anything. One time shortly after I got it my damsel was missing. I panicked and pulled out the anenome and squeezed it like I was getting out the last drop of toothpaste. then the damsel came out from wherever he was and I was scared that I killed the anenome.It was fine. Online many people talk about thiers coming out of tube. I just cut the tube and stick it back in the sand.A new tube grows in like 2 days.Very resilient,very cool animal. I recommend one just give it about 6 inches in all directions.

Thanks for that info boomer. I didn't understand why people were using pvc tubes. After reading those posts I feel a lot better about getting one.

I invented that PVC tube for them ;) What happen was my first one (1980's) crawled out of his and tried to make a new one out of coarse gravel which did not fly. He attempted to make 3 more and left each one. Putting him back in his own tube did not work he just left it again. I got all nervous and just stuck him in a UFG tube at first where he was for a couple of years. As he grew I just gave him a bigger tube. I kept this one for 15 years. If you look at some of those links I posted yo will see that TA in nature do not sit on the sand bed bottom but are way above it. The only disadvantage here is when they are "Up" they suck up a lot of space i.e, swim area for fish. Mine was like ~20 inches across from tentacle tip to tentacle tip when fully expanded and he was in a 55gal tank :eek:. That means he took up almost 100% of the middle third of the tank, from bottom to the top, right under the surface. But I never lost anything.

Boomer, that's amazing! Do you have any pictures from when it was 20" across? That must have been something to see.