• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Chaeto wont grow...?

D

Deleted member 27248

There is a difference between growing and thriving.a regular bulb will absolutely work, but when you spend a
Few bucks and get a light spectrum designed for plants/macro with a light with real intensity the results cannot Be argued.the refugium is another filter and tool for the reef tank, you absolutely get what you pay for.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
There is a difference between growing and thriving.a regular bulb will absolutely work, but when you spend a
Few bucks and get a light spectrum designed for plants/macro with a light with real intensity the results cannot Be argued.the refugium is another filter and tool for the reef tank, you absolutely get what you pay for.

All lights have the right spectrum. They all mimic the sun.
My light is made to grow tomatoes and vegetable and that’s the same light and spectrum that grows algae. (Like the sun)
I have a 600 gallon system and my main filtration is the 24x24 refugium on a $30 light. I had the kessil and this light grows just as much algae for my need. I have nothing against the kessil it grows algae. But for me I didn’t find i needed a $300 light that’s not water proof.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I'm not growing chaeto to eat, I'm sure some lights will make it grow faster or produce more 'nutrients' but a cheap white/ grow light has mine growing and is doing it's job- and I have to throw the stuff away ( can't give it way)- my pods love it too

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
All lights have the right spectrum. They all mimic the sun.
My light is made to grow tomatoes and vegetable and that’s the same light and spectrum that grows algae. (Like the sun)
I have a 600 gallon system and my main filtration is the 24x24 refugium on a $30 light. I had the kessil and this light grows just as much algae for my need. I have nothing against the kessil it grows algae. But for me I didn’t find i needed a $300 light that’s not water proof.

My orp is @ 484 that’s crazy high.

Attachments

• 96464FBE-FBC0-4DE8-9494-6592C6122F40.png
    96464FBE-FBC0-4DE8-9494-6592C6122F40.png
    629.1 KB · Views: 1
Funny thing with Chaeto is what works for one persons tank may not work for another’s. It’s all about the nutrients in your tank I guess because I know people that have had success with cheap Home Depot lights or those Amazon lights but for some reason I had no luck. Trust me I tried because I didn’t want to spend a lot on a Refugium light but since changing to the Chaeto max then the Gro I see a difference in my sump. With all my macro algae

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Funny thing with Chaeto is what works for one persons tank may not work for another’s. It’s all about the nutrients in your tank I guess because I know people that have had success with cheap Home Depot lights or those Amazon lights but for some reason I had no luck. Trust me I tried because I didn’t want to spend a lot on a Refugium light but since changing to the Chaeto max then the Gro I see a difference in my sump. With all my macro algae
When I first bought chaeto, it was on ebay, most of it turned grey and disintegrated, but there was about there was a few that survived- I think my tank was 'too new' after that it took off- I have growing under all cheap lights from amazon- guess your tight- now I have no nitrates or phosphates lol- if it ain't one thing it's another lol

DangerDave

NJRC Member

I agree. Most lights will work, high powered lights just work better with accelerated growth. I mean assuming you have the nutrients to support the growth. Macro, algae scrubbers, all the same. I like the idea of the increased biodiversity living in there…

Salted

NJRC Member
Currently going through this myself. Cheato has been steadily declining even though I've added light time and intensity (kessil h80 tuna blue fuge light). Currently purchased britewell cheato gro which came today. I added the first dose and will monitor.

D

Deleted member 27248

Currently going through this myself. Cheato has been steadily declining even though I've added light time and intensity (kessil h80 tuna blue fuge light). Currently purchased britewell cheato gro which came today. I added the first dose and will monitor.
What is your nitrate and phosphate numbers?

Salted

NJRC Member
Hmm weird should be growing and sucking it down.
Yet it's not. It's still been breaking down. I need a load of magic maximus cheato. This hobby is tough. Anyway, just got some britewell cheato gro and I'll give that a try. Still have a free head on my doser just have to get more tubing. Until then I'll dose manually.

D

Deleted member 27248

Yet it's not. It's still been breaking down. I need a load of magic maximus cheato. This hobby is tough. Anyway, just got some britewell cheato gro and I'll give that a try. Still have a free head on my doser just have to get more tubing. Until then I'll dose manually.
I have a ton of chaeto left too.ill be up on Thursday afternoon

john90009

NJRC Member
I basically run what mark just suggested but just a different bulb. I think the bulbs Atleast 6 years old and grows macro like a champ. Reds, greens whatever you throw in there it will grow.