• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Changing filter socks

I’m curious how often other members change out their filter socks. I use a standard 4x12 filter sock and change them out once a week. By day number five the socks begin to over flow but I let that go until day seven which is when I do my weekly water change. At that point I put in a clean filter sock and wash out all my media filtration as well. I’ve read it’s not the best to let filter socks over flow but my sump is very tight and they can be a pain in the ass switching them out.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have two 7” filter sock holder and I change them every
Two days. You have to change them more frequently in order for them to be effective.
I purchase a 10 pack from amazon and put them on rotation. I have like 20 socks total. And I wash them like every 15 days in the laundry with bleach 2 x cycles.

Attachments

• F15B18B8-5208-434C-8693-2A3F0C7DD924.png
    F15B18B8-5208-434C-8693-2A3F0C7DD924.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Ever consider using a floss cup? I personally hated washing the filter socks. I just replace the wad of filter floss every 2 or 3 days. Filter floss costs very little, widely available. I'm willing to pay to not have to scrub another sock haha. Plus the bag lasts forever.

Ever consider using a floss cup? I personally hated washing the filter socks. I just replace the wad of filter floss every 2 or 3 days. Filter floss costs very little, widely available. I'm willing to pay to not have to scrub another sock haha. Plus the bag lasts forever.
I’ve never heard of a floss cup till now. Looks like they make things a whole lot easier.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have two 7” filter sock holder and I change them every
Two days. You have to change them more frequently in order for them to be effective.
I purchase a 10 pack from amazon and put them on rotation. I have like 20 socks total. And I wash them like every 15 days in the laundry with bleach 2 x cycles.
I agree. Get a filter cup, socks are a pain. I add floss and replace every 2 or 3 days. I have two 3inch cups.

I agree. Get a filter cup, socks are a pain. I add floss and replace every 2 or 3 days. I have two 3inch cups.
Can you add carbon to them as well? Meaning, is there enough space for both carbon and floss? Also if i order them should I get just one or should I get a couple? I don’t know if they break easily or possibly for other reasons.

D

Deleted member 27248

I have 2 4” bags, it takes about 4-5 days before they get dark and start filling up.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Can you add carbon to them as well? Meaning, is there enough space for both carbon and floss? Also if i order them should I get just one or should I get a couple? I don’t know if they break easily or possibly for other reasons.
I had one 7 inch on my old setup. I was able to add carbon bag and floss on top.
The current setup has a sump with 2 socks holders. I did use one with a carbon bag only and other floss.
My cups seem durable. Yo can get one cup and keep a sock just in case.

Reactions: Jon

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I change them as soon as they overflow. Until then they are working perfectly.
I also tried floss cups it really didn’t work for me. Maybe if I could have had multiple cups it would have worked but one would overflow in a day or two. Not worth it. My 4x14 sock lasts about 5 days I have about 12 socks and only wash when I have only one clean one left.

Salted

NJRC Member
Following because I hope to get my sump plumbed and running this weekend. Started poking around online while reading this and wondering - is this https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ribbon-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GS0XM8EVX93KG37A559M really any different than this; https://www.amazon.com/Fairfield-Po...+stuffing&qid=1610239058&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-6 ? The fish specific stuff is 4x the price. From my research, the only concern would be buying a product that does not add flame retardant, which the one in my link does not. Since I only have two pairs of filter socks it looks like I have a decision to make.

I change them as soon as they overflow. Until then they are working perfectly.
I also tried floss cups it really didn’t work for me. Maybe if I could have had multiple cups it would have worked but one would overflow in a day or two. Not worth it. My 4x14 sock lasts about 5 days I have about 12 socks and only wash when I have only one clean one left.
Hockey, what do you store the dirty ones in? I put mine ina plastic shopping bag. After about three weeks one appeared to have mold growing in it. I definitely don’t want that in my tank

Following because I hope to get my sump plumbed and running this weekend. Started poking around online while reading this and wondering - is this https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ribbon-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GS0XM8EVX93KG37A559M really any different than this; https://www.amazon.com/Fairfield-Po...+stuffing&qid=1610239058&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-6 ? The fish specific stuff is 4x the price. From my research, the only concern would be buying a product that does not add flame retardant, which the one in my link does not. Since I only have two pairs of filter socks it looks like I have a decision to make.

Michaels Arts and Crafts man.. 20oz for $7.Screenshot_20210109-135943_Chrome.jpg

D

Deleted member 27248

In my opinion, filter socks are the cheapest and easiest way to go.filter floss is not cheap anyway you do it. And you will be changing it often.get 20-40 socks, and wash them and you’ll have them for years.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
In my opinion, filter socks are the cheapest and easiest way to go.filter floss is not cheap anyway you do it. And you will be changing it often.get 20-40 socks, and wash them and you’ll have them for years.
I disagree. Had 8 socks and they seemed to clog faster after 1st use. I tried washing machine with bleach or vinegar. Even power washing. You don't need much floss and its so easy even if I replace it 2 or 3 times a week.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You could run filter Sox and put the filter floss in the Sox. You could remove the filter floss and change the Sox as needed. The problem with filter floss
Is that it allows a lot detritus to get by.

D

Deleted member 27248

I disagree. Had 8 socks and they seemed to clog faster after 1st use. I tried washing machine with bleach or vinegar. Even power washing. You don't need much floss and its so easy even if I replace it 2 or 3 times a week.
I’m sure it depends ont the system.I used it in my old tank to “save money” I’d throw clumps in a cup and it got dirty quickly in my tank.then there would be stray strands of poly floating in sump and return pump. To each his own.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
WIth bigger tanks I went with filter socks. Just grabbed 10-12 from Amazon.
When they got dirty enough to start to overfill I'd replace and throw the dirty one in a bucket of water with a cup of bleach in it to start cleaning and prevent any pathogen buildup.
When I was down to 2 clean socks Id throw the bucket socks into a water and bleach only wash with a double rinse, then air dry them for 2 days, then rinse again with clear water.
Sounds complex, but wasnt bad, an hour of work every few weeks.

With nanos, especially AIOs, its 100% about the cup (or media rack) and floss. Every 2-3 days a handful out and in the trash, a handful in.
My morning ritual consists of looking at floss, and if it's dirty, replacing it. Takes all of 60 seconds from start to finish and a bag of floss lasts up to 2 months.