• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Changing Substrate Advice

I’d like to change the substrate in my Fluval Evo 13.5. I currently have the black sand and want to change over to a natural reef sand mix. Lots of opinions on how best to do it. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Scoop out the existing sand right before a water change until it’s all gone (may take a few times)

Once all the sand is out, rinse the new sand THOUROUGHLY and use a pvc pipe with a funnel attached to place it in the bottom of the tank. Should hellp reduce any cloudiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
+1 on that.
If you're using the special grade reef that stuff is fantastic but needs to be rinsed thoroughly till waste water runs clear as et said.

When I've done this in the past I've turned off everything and used a 1/8" or 1/4" siphon tube to suck out the substrate.
I continue till all substrate is gone.
If the bucket fills up, I give it a few minutes to settle, pour the water back in the tank, and start to siphon sand again.
Eventually, you have a bucket of mostly sand.
Then I add the new substrate, as ET suggested, and top off with new water.
Easy and no major disturbance or cloudiness.
Make sure you dig through the sand in the bucket to catch any snails that may get sucked out.