• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Chiller Question 1/3HP

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Daniel said:
My tank was 90* about week ago.
I have four Maxi-jet 900 8.5 watts at 230gph for powerheads on a wavemaker.
I do not have any heaters in this tank.
I just lifted my lighting hood 1" higher and now it is 3.5" off the water. My hood used to sit flush on top of the tank rim and now it is 1.5" off the rim. When I lifted off the rim you can feel the heat coming out towards me.

It sounds like the lights were the root of your overheating problem. Having them right on the rim like that is way too close, especially with MH. Try putting them a little higher if the tank is still too hot and get another fan and have it blow across your entire lighting fixture. This will help to move the heat from the lights away from the tank.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK just by lifting my lights off the tank rim by 1" my temp is down to 79*. I am going to get a fan to night for my sump. Now it would be great If I see more temp drop from the fan.