• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Chillers... particularly of a nano variety....

I've had an exceptionally bad day. Work was terrible, and I just found out the air conditioner to the house is not due to be fixed for perhaps a few weeks (long story). So, now, my precious nano and I are in a rather precarious position. I'm about to leave for a small vacation with my tank in the hands of my parentals.

I need a nano chiller and ASAP (I leave in 8 days!!!!).

Any recommendations?!?

set up a small fan to blow gently across the surface.
it should be o.k. for a few days.
there are small ones at home depot that have a clip on them that should work.
about $10.00.................gl .......al

albie611 said:
set up a small fan to blow gently across the surface.
it should be o.k. for a few days.
there are small ones at home depot that have a clip on them that should work.
about $10.00.................gl .......al

.... yeah.... it's working.... "eh" at best, and, at worst, it's making the tank loose a phenominal amount of water in evaporation. I don't quite trust my mum not to ruin the tank, and the less she has to do, the better.

GregW said:
Is the tank in your room? How about a small window a/c unit?

In the room, and no. Sadly, my room is on a breaker that can hold no more without blowing every few minutes.

Yeah. Tried that thought, too.

I do feel a slight change in the air, so hopefully we're going to get some rain tonight and the heat'll break at least for a few days.

It's supposed to cool down after these storms go through tonight. Weather Underground says it's not going to get into the 80s until late next week. Whew! I use a fan on my tanks in my dungeon, I'm mean basement, and they haven't gone above 81 degrees. I loose a lot to evaporation though and the basement is like a sauna.

GregW said:
How "nano" is the tank? Any chance you could move it to a friend's house while you're away?

10, and nope. I'd love to move it, but pretty much no one I know can be trusted with a betta, let alone a reef tank, let alone a nano tank of any form. While I love them to pieces, most of my friends are either utterly unreliable when it comes to animals, hate animals of all forms, are in Atlanta, do not have a/c, or have some weird combination of all those factors.

..... believe me, I've run all my options. I'm very cheap at heart, so for me to admit that I need to purchase something expensive means I'm tapped out of ideas except for this one absolutely ridiculously stupid idea (and that says a lot that I, of all people, think it's a ridiculously stupid idea).

And, to make matters worse, I had big colonies of xenia from some frags from Ed that are starting to tank on me.

How about leaving it with somebody from the club here? Do you know anyone close to you on here? That's got to be a better option then a friend or a parent that doesn't know anything about reefs.

Carlo

If you can't figure anything out, or the link Phyllis sent isn't an option for you I'd also suggest finding someone here who can babysit the tank for you... a 10g isn't to hard to move (not fun, but not as bad as coming home to a crashed tank)

Don't know where you are but I'm in Port Monmouth and a obsessed stay at home mom who currently has close to 200g of SW within eye sight of the sofa LOL plus I never let our central air get above 72 ;) I'm happy to tank sit.

Or do you have another location in your house where you could move the tank to and run a window air-conditioner? It weights ALOT but we have one you could borrow if you wanted to, we used it in our last house upstairs where the air didn't work great, so far this one is ok and we haven't needed it.