• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Choosing a Skimmer for a 75gal

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hello evryone!

Those of you that came over yesterday noticed that I just got a new 75gal tank! For the first time in my life I am going to have a sump in my system! :)

Well...Merv will be my sump builder so I need to come up with dimension for it! Biggest concern is choosing the right skimmer! Some issues to be taken into consideration...

The sump will be underneath the tank, inside a standard Perfecto Oak stand. I will modify the stand as per Merv's idea and make the entire front double doors open to give better access.

I have to decide if the skimmer will be in sump or not, but either way it needs to fit into the stand with enough space so I can service it as needed...

That's it, no other constrains..any ideas?

Thanks! Rod

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
ASM G2 or Euroreef. I have euro reef on my 150 Gallon. Very easy to dial in. ASM G4 had a much bigger foot print for my sump.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Rod

Check out the Reef Octopus line. A lot of bang for the buck!

Bob

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Guys! Thanks for all the replies! I will look into all the options! Keep any more ideas coming!

Rod

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You looking for trouble Rod! People are going to name almost all skimmers out there...LOL I've only had one smaller skimmer, but wouldn't recommend it, but I will say this, from what I've read and heard, it is pretty important to keep the sump level pretty much the same level at all times to be most effective. You may want to concider some sort of auto top off for this reason.

Is there someway we can cross out rods name and put mine on the OP? haha. So far Ive found an MRC M1 for a decent price, looks like a real quality skimmer. Tank needs to be up and running by may 1 so time is somewhat of an issue! Otherwise was thinking the bubble magnus, but Id almost rather have it in and ready to go.