• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clearer water

HELLO

I working on my tank, and it's a bit cloudy right now. But, what do you use to keep your water clearer? Nothing like a tank of clean, clear saltwater. It's just so tranquil. So, what do you use for clear water?

edwin

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've been using a ReefGadget for 2 years and I'm still amazed at how clean the glass is when I'm done. As counter intuitive as it sounds, the glass is so clear I almost don't even notice the particulate in the water. For some reason, when the glass is a little film covered it seems to stand out more.

Foam Fractioning (protein skimmer), Carbon, Chem-pure, Purigen, Ozone and UV can all help clear the water. If you already have a protein skimmer setting it to skim a little wetter will take more out of the water.

Adding Carbon or Chem-pure or Purigen (my favorite) in a small reactore, canister filter or some other method that forces the water to go through it works really well. Carbon is usually good for about a month while the Chem-Pure and Purigen are good for 5 to 6 months and can be recharged pretty easily. I like the way the Purigen changes color to let you know it's time to recharge it.

Ozone and UV help break down the organics in the water which then allow other filtration items (sponges, protein skimmers, etc) remove the items easier which clears the water and raises the ORP. The higher your ORP is the clearer/cleaner your water is basically speaking.

Cleaning the glass as others suggested...

Carlo