• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ClearView lids

momof6kids

NJRC Member
After having another fish jump ship this weekend, I am biting the bullet and getting a lid. After reading horror stories of building the RedSea reefer lids, I am looking at the ClearView lids. The price has gone done since I looked at the end of last year. I am a bit confused though on which one I want. Classic, Tsunami, or Pisces EXO. Can someone explain the difference and which would be better on a Red Sea Reefer 525xl.

After having another fish jump ship this weekend, I am biting the bullet and getting a lid. After reading horror stories of building the RedSea reefer lids, I am looking at the ClearView lids. The price has gone done since I looked at the end of last year. I am a bit confused though on which one I want. Classic, Tsunami, or Pisces EXO. Can someone explain the difference and which would be better on a Red Sea Reefer 525xl.
I have the same tank! I was originally going to get a clearview lids. I read a lot of people saying it’s not worth it and lots of horror stories of them taking up to 6 months to get it and receiving it with the wrong dimensions and so on. Anyway, DDjumpguard!!! I promise you’ll be so content with it. It’s not flimsy like the Red Sea ones, it’s super sturdy. I’ve never found these types of screens hard to build, so I can’t speak on that. If you’re relatively close, I can even help you put it together or if you wanted to swing by to check out the lid.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Mike, I am in Bridgewater, so not to far away. If you don't mind, I would like to take a look at the lid. And I would love to have help putting it together if that is the way I decide to go. I have seen the Red Sea ones and was not impressed with them at all. ;)

Yeah the Red Sea ones are garbage lol. Oh sweet you’re close. I was actually raised in Bridgewater. I’ll PM you my number. Just shoot me a text

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Yeah the Red Sea ones are garbage lol. Oh sweet you’re close. I was actually raised in Bridgewater. I’ll PM you my number. Just shoot me a text
lol, and we lived in North Plainfield for about 17 years before moving to Bridgewater. We were on Westervelt Ave.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I also have a DD jumpguard. agree it takes a while to build, but it's great quality.

Attachments

• 20210305_194026.jpg
    20210305_194026.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
Not sure what your top looks like but we made our own custom lid made of a aluminum screen frame and clear screens. It wasn’t easy and had a few mistakes but it’s custom and we have cut outs for the feeders and looks pretty good. No one jumps out any more. Maybe later I can send our pictures.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So I had a clearview on my 120 and loved it. Was turned on to them by mnat and Nikki.
Sent in the tank measurements, told them where I needed space for equipment, and they sent a top quality flush cover that was perfect.
Its made of thick plexi, with a clear mesh screen welded into it (very cleanly) and a feeding door (no need to bother with the larger door, the normal door is good enough unless you're feeding the fish a whole ham).
I bought the Tsunami variant. The only problem I had with it was that every once in a while you'd have to give the pieces a small reset push as one of the sections might rise or lower a bit in relation to the others. The 'junction seams' also build up a little salt creep over time.
I bought the Tsunami thinking I could modify it as needed for future tanks, but, realistically, each tank is different with equipment placement and sizing and you have to send the entire top back to them for modifications. If I were doing it again, I'd just go with the classic.
They're expensive, but they're very well built and very un-obtrusive.

Last edited: