• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clownfish advice

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
So, I had two onyx perculas living in my tank for the past 3 weeks[have not seemed to pair yet, but one is the larger female with a smaller male]. A few days ago there was no sign of the larger female. Checked all the rocks, couldn't find a body, and didn't see it for several days. I went ahead and ordered another percula online which will arrive tomorrow. To my surprise, guess who rode the plumbing to my refugium sump and has been hiding out the past few days. I immediately moved her back into the main tank and all seems fine.
My question: What should I do with the clownfish arriving tomorrow?
A) add to tank and monitor for aggression[can I have a third clown-tank is over 400 gallons]?
B) demote to the sump and figure out another plan for the new one

Has anyone had any success with three perculas in the same tank long term? I have heard two will pair and kill the third wheel.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

erics210

NJRC Member
Ha e had 2 pairs in as small as my red sea s500 (112 gallon display).
But 3 in numerous systems including my 210 result in aggressions towards the oddball. I have a 65 that is currently housing 3 and as long as the 3rd doesn't come too close he is allowed to stay in his corner. Not a happy place for the third clown.

Salted

NJRC Member
Get rid of the third or order a fourth and have two pairs. Maybe try to set each pair up with it's own nem on opposite sides of the tank.