• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clownfish Question

I have three clownfish. When I went fallow and put them in QT, two of them beat the crap out of the third and I had to put an emergency 10 gallon up to save it. Now that the fish have been back in the main tank (75 gallons), I'm contemplating putting the third one back in the main tank. However, I'm afraid they may go after him again. Anyone have experience with three clownfish in a larger tank? When the three were in the main tank originally, there weren't any issues.

When in the original tank, were they always close or did the 3rd hang around away from the pair? It's likely that they got aggressive because of the lack of space.

When in the original tank, were they always close or did the 3rd hang around away from the pair? It's likely that they got aggressive because of the lack of space.
From what I remember, there wasn't any real aggression before QT. The two that are now paired were certainly starting to pair. Like you said, I'm thinking the small tank and the added stress from the copper may have caused the heavy aggression while in QT.

Salted

NJRC Member
F**k clowns. Singles or pairs and that's it. And even the pairs can be a problem when they start to mate. My male was very aggressive towards my fire shrimp and my first yellow watchman goby is still mia. The male was banished to the sump and the replacement ywg was hassled by the female. Clowns are now gone. Maybe I'll get a single replacement, or maybe a pair when I set up my 125 and give them a nem to host and hopefully they'll stay put there and leave everyone else alone. Either that or a 40b clown/nem tank since my wife really likes the clowns. Good luck Mike.