• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clownfish Spawning

so I may have taken the pot out of the tank too soon, but we do have a couple of babies swimming around this morning. I fed them some food earlier but haven't really been checking in them like that. I'll give them another look now and see what's going on. probably going to leave the pot in the small tank for another day

my wife now saying there's a lot. I asked her what a lot and she says she saw 5 to 10 at least. I'm not going to get my hopes up. hopefully they are eating that Japanese food that looks like sand. I'm going to try and hatch some brine today or tomorrow

Sorry guys, it'll have to be next time. we had about 50 but the food i purchased ultimately killed them. excess food plus high temperature required caused a bacterial bloom and probably ammonia spike in their tank, plus i suspect the food was too big (it was like fine sand almost dust, and i think the water caused it to expand) so they may have starved out before the spike because they were really tiny and the food looked like it was maybe half their size.

the clay pot is back in the nano tank with the parents after about 3 days and they havent laid any more eggs yet, but i'll keep you posted.

im back in need of rotifers if anyone can spare a cup. we waited to see if they would lay more eggs before ordering and so we did order but i think shipping delays have put the kibosh on my order for some extra days.

in the meantime, i could really use a cup if anyone has to spare.

hey mickey -

So when conditions are right, your clowns should reproduce every 14 to 20 days like clockwork. There is no need to be concerned about losing a batch, unfortunately this is the nature of things.

if you are going to try again i would suggest the following first:

establish rotifer bucket. This can be as simple as live rotifers in a small bucket or salt water and air stone. Some folks even have two buckets in case one crashes. I wish i could give you some, but mine are dormant and likely will take weeks to revive. It would be best to have a sieve to separate the rotifers from their water.

fry tank set up. Your fry tank should be covered/darkened except for a small light above it. The water can/should be tinted with phyto to allow the fry to sight the rotifers. Covering the sides/tinting the water will greatly reduce mortality as it helps the fry sight the rotifers easier. You should NOT be able to "see" rotifers with your eyes. If you can "see" the food, it is too big for your fry. i have a cheap loupe that I use to help check to validate my rotifers are alive.
(nevermind I see your other thread and you have set up the fry tank properly!)

About 10 days or so (depends on how well the fry are eating), the fry will slowly metamorphosis and you should see the first stripe on the clownfish.
this is the stage when baby brine shrimp are okay for them.

Best of luck!

Last edited: