• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Collecting Amphipods in the Long Island Sound

Paul B

NJRC Member
You can't see it well in the video but after I lift a rock, I just rub my hand over the bottom of the rock, and the amphipods stick to my hand. When I want a lot more amphipods, I bring a larger bucket and swirl the rocks in the bucket. That way I get them all.

These things make great scavengers and food. They also reproduce in a tropical tank

Nothing beats free food and free pods. I do the same thing at Belmar beach. I walk out to the jetty and grab clumps of sea lettuce. Within the sea lettuce are 1,000’s of pods. It looks like the rock is crawling. Not to mention I also gather the mussels and crabs to put in my sump.

Salted

NJRC Member
Nothing beats free food and free pods. I do the same thing at Belmar beach. I walk out to the jetty and grab clumps of sea lettuce. Within the sea lettuce are 1,000’s of pods. It looks like the rock is crawling. Not to mention I also gather the mussels and crabs to put in my sump.
I’ve mention that I want to do this. Has this started yet (being able to collect), or should I wait a few more weeks?

Paul B

NJRC Member
I took that video 2 days ago so yes, this is the time. My problem is you need to go low tide and that doesn't often happen when I have time to collect and it happens almost every 12 hours.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Yates, I work in Spring Lake. Any idea approximately where the jetty you gather from is?

Yates, I work in Spring Lake. Any idea approximately where the jetty you gather from is?
As far as where on the jetty. Wherever there are clumps of sea lettuce anmd mussels attached to the rocks. There is all kinds of life in there.

eli smoke

NJRC Member
I’ve been wanting to try this but was always afraid.