• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Computer experts?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Yeah, me.

I told you what to get and how much to expect to pay for it and that high density doesn't mean anything.

Now go buy some memory and don't worry about the extra advice about paintshop vs. abode cs3.

:)

Sorry, but you did not answer my question. The question was how do I tell if my memory is high density, not whether it makes a difference.

Now you obviously know more about computers than I, but in the past I've taken advise from people who are knowledgable about computers only to have them be wrong and then I was left with a messed up computer. If I knew more about them and could easily fix a problem all would be good, but I don't and need to rely on my computer for work, so downtime is a loss of income and possibly a customer if I can't do their job.

The vendors I'm looking at specifically state to make sure to know if the MB supports high density, to me that means there is a difference. Icould be wrong and you could be right, I just can't take the chance. I hope you understand.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
There's no chance to take.

Here:

Go to staples or best buy or costco or compusa or an online vendor and buy a stick of memory that you can return.

Just a gig of PC3200 would suffice. Buying locally will be a little more expensive, but should still remain under $100.

Take it home, pop open your box and remove your two sticks of memory.

Put in the new one.

Turn on the computer.

If it posts, you're good, and you can sell those two lil fellas on ebay or stash them, or try to stick them in with your existing stick of memory.

If it doesn't post, then try and reseat it. Still doesn't post, stick your old memory in your computer and return the new stick.

I KNOW it's going to work, though, as I've built quite a few computers. But, there's your failsafe way to ensure your computer always works.

I've never heard of anyone talking about high density or low density pc3200. I know people will ask if it uses ddr2 or ddr, but none of the sites I usually buy hardware from list 'high density' and I've never had an issue with memory not working on a computer because it was the wrong density.

So, don't stress it. Buy some memory from a place that you can take it back if needs be (you won't, but it'll make you feel better, me thinks) and try it.

damon

PS - Windows XP really needs a gig to run well. It'll run on 512 like you're running, but it'll hang a lot, and when windows decides to do a background process while you're working, it makes it all the worse.

That 3.0Ghz p4 will do you right, and there's really not a current reason to upgrade past that, but doubling your memory is going to make a huge difference for you.