• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

computer

any computer wizards out there , my computer did not wantwed to go on today so i went and bought another case with a 450 watts supply box , and i change everything over and i still didnot get anything any ideas would be appreciated ,and no i can not afford a new one right now, so thats out of the question ,if theres any technicians lmk thanks .

Ralph

camz28 said:
any computer wizards out there , my computer did not wantwed to go on today so i went and bought another case with a 450 watts supply box , and i change everything over and i still didnot get anything any ideas would be appreciated ,and no i can not afford a new one right now, so thats out of the question ,if theres any technicians lmk thanks .

Ralph

First of all, is it a laptop (external power supply) or desktop (internal)?

I assume that when you powered it up, you couldn't see any lights, LEDs lit, any sound from fans and hard drive, right?

If desktop, is the screen's power cord connected to the outlet or to the computer? Does it work on its own (any indicator lights or screen message showing on)?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Ralph,
Initially sounds like your power supply went. You should have just bought another instead of a box. As stated prior does the monitor have power? If so I would guess your hard drive went but can't be sure without looking at it.

Mark

mark the monitor has power ,amd i have 2 hard drives one is 60 the other is 180 thats my secondary drive , i took everything apart except the cpu and fan from the mother board ,i hook the other case with the 450 watts power suply and the cpu fan went on for like 2 seconds and that was it , and it never went back on again so i have evrything apart and im stock .

camz28 said:
mark the monitor has power ,amd i have 2 hard drives one is 60 the other is 180 thats my secondary drive , i took everything apart except the cpu and fan from the mother board ,i hook the other case with the 450 watts power suply and the cpu fan went on for like 2 seconds and that was it , and it never went back on again so i have evrything apart and im stock .

Ok, we are going somewhere. Actually before I would go for PC power supply (which is usually the most reliable part of PC ::) ) I would check CPU cooling fan as well as how tight the heat sink is pressed against the chip. PCs today MUST run them, and I believe that they have a feature to prevent the running of the CPU if the fan is not working. In any case, if the heat sink with the fan is not tightly connected to the CPU, the CPU will overheat in a matter of seconds if not faster and shut down. I have a PC that got the chip mount broken at the place where the heat sink lever hooks, so the heat sink got loose and out of contact with CPU.

i have this MB Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L , i can switch everything over to it but i dont have a legal xp copy to load up .

This may sounds crazy but have you checked were you have it plugged in? In my old days of end user support I had people that had a outlet blow and never tried that.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
camz28 said:

That would be normal in an ATX motherboard.

If its still apart try this with the new power supply. Remove the wires that are connected to the header that say POWER, RESET SWITCH, LED, HD, etc except leave speaker if your MB doesn't have a built on one.. Just motherboard with no cards in it, CPU, Memory and power supply. Connect power supply, fan should go on for a second or two. Take a small screw driver and short the pins that are marked Power Switch for 2 seconds. It the power comes on and you hear 3 beeps (No video beep message), then your problem isn't power or MB related.

I did try that and i got no beeps from the speaker on the MB , the fan did not even go on .Before that the fan went on for like 1 or 2 seconds and that was the last time it went on .