• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Concept Rower

I have been informed by someone that I am required to purchase for them a Concept Rowing Machine for a certain holiday or anniversary. These things are $900 on Amazon. Does anyone know a source to get one for less? I would even go used if it was in good shape.

PS: My suggestion that "We live on a lake, I'll borrow a rowboat for you" was not well-received.

eBay has them pretty regularly. I keep thinking about getting one myself, but I really don't think I could hang enough stuff on it to justify the purchase. Now, an elliptical machine makes a NICE coatrack.

I am a former rower and have spent many hours on that damn machine. Alot of times rowing clubs and/or high schools will get rid of them at the end of the year for newer ones for the following year. Not sure if it helps at all. You may know some teachers at a school where they have a crew team. I will ask around down here.

eBay has them pretty regularly. I keep thinking about getting one myself, but I really don't think I could hang enough stuff on it to justify the purchase. Now, an elliptical machine makes a NICE coatrack.

Yeah, they should just go ahead and build the clothes rack onto those treadmills. I have been searching ebay, demand > supply at least recently. OTOH that means if we get it and want to sell it it should be easy. I told her I was going to sit there and beat a big drum until I think she's rowed enough.

I am a former rower and have spent many hours on that damn machine. Alot of times rowing clubs and/or high schools will get rid of them at the end of the year for newer ones for the following year. Not sure if it helps at all. You may know some teachers at a school where they have a crew team. I will ask around down here.

Thanks a lot. We have an "air rower" but apparently those are mere trash before the awesomeness of the Concept Rower. $900? You could get a good skimmer for $900!

Torture machines:) Another former rower here also. Get in touch with concept II directly about a used one. They may be able to direct you to a university that is hosting an indoor regatta. Often there will be some available after they are done with them. I picked up a used one at Villanova after an event for a good price. The problem may be that most of them are held during the winter. We are you located?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
As an ex rower here as well you could not pay me enough to put me back on one. However, they will put you in the best shape of your life.

My personal trainer got his used, I can ask to see where he got one because he was asking my wife and I (she was also a rower) about some new equipment.

Torture machines:) Another former rower here also. Get in touch with concept II directly about a used one. They may be able to direct you to a university that is hosting an indoor regatta. Often there will be some available after they are done with them. I picked up a used one at Villanova after an event for a good price. The problem may be that most of them are held during the winter. We are you located?

Rockaway up here in Morris County. Thanks!

If you were in the southern end of the state there would be a bunch of high schools and colleges that you could contact around Philly. Up there I'm not sure who still had programs. You could try rutgers. I still think asking concept 2 directly might be your best bet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Watch out if you buy a used one, make sure you test the screen. A lot of the older machines have damaged monitors becuases people leave batteries in them for so long that the batteries start to leak.
That said, I have to admit that I am a former rower who likes the erg. You all knew I was crazy already, right?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Try calling the sports exchange in freehold. They usually have a lot of used workout machines and if they don't they will keep an eye out for one for you

Hate the erg...hate the erg....I HATE THE ERG and I havent been on one in 16 years! We all hate the erg, but Nikki. Nikki, you shaould also hate the erg!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Also look at "Play it Again Sports." I used them when my kids were outgrowing skiing equipment every year. I remember seeing a whole bunch of "cloths hangers" in their stores.

I've got a Nordic Track up in my attic you can have. You could hang 2 weeks worth of clothes on that thing!
I heard someday a guy in Norway is going to push a button and the NordicTracks will all come to life and kill us so they can take over. I myself favor the regular treadmill, but there's only room for one gizmo right now. And it's gonna be a Concept Rower, I am informed.

I talked to the Concept people. They were very helpful, and told me about the Ergo Regattas, sadly they are all over until next winter. They said I could get a refurb but I would have to drive to Vermont. To save $100. I'm gonna watch ebay for a couple of weeks but I may just have to go ahead and punish my Visa card.