• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

confused

ok so I am a little confused...

My water level in my tank is controlled by an auto top off system. It has been running fine for the past 2 months as i been cycling the tank.

I use RO/DI water, I top off with Kalkwasser. I have 2x250w 10K XM MH Lights and 2 T5 Actinics. Since my tank is now fully cycled I added some SPS corals which in a week are already showing white growth tips.

Now the weird thing is the water level in my tank went up, i dont know how, but the water is brushing against the Euro bracing.

So anyway in the teeth of my overflow is growing some green algae, I am not surprised, the lighting is intense and there is some trace phosphate. My Phosphates tested at .1 ppm (salifert), slighting elevated but manageable. I am not sure where the phosphates are leaching from... Now the algae growth in my overflows teeth is not that bad at all, but it seems that is what made the water level rise. My drain is 1.5 inches and rated for 1200 GPH, My return pump only does about 900 gph. Would the algae be the reason for the tank water going up? i am utterly confused. I have cleaned it the best i can do but the water level is still elevated, this only started when i started running the MHs last week.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It really sounds like something is restricting your flow. In my opinion, I think that could really be the only problem. Are you using a HOB, Internal or external overflow?

If you have an internal with a Durso Standpipe maybe your air line at the top of the durso is clogged.

HTH

Yeah...I doubt the pump got stronger so I would think something is clogging the overflow!

Maybe snake it and see if you find a truant snail or buildup of something. If algae is the culprit it would have to grow pretty thick in a short amount of time.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have you tried taking out the durso's completely and cleaning and re-seating them? I'm assuming you have, but I'm just throwing stuff out there! :)

there is nothing in them at all they are only 2 months old, personally i think glasscages makes the teeth in their overflow covers too narrow.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I get hair algae that builds up in my teeth and raises the water level a bit. In fact it's up now so I guess it's time to clean them again. It only takes 2 - 3 months for it to build up enough to notice a difference. One way to tell if there is a clog in the pipes is if the water is still dropping even a little into the overflow then it probably isn't the durso. If the water level is equal on both sides of the teeth then it stands to reason there could be a clog.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a hard time cleaning mine. There is eurobrace right over the top of the teeth. Bottle brushes don't do anything for the coralline, but will get off hair algae. I've tried using those plastic razor blades to get off the coralline, doesn't work so well either. I would be interested to hear some other idea's on cleaning out the teeth as well!