• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Considering switching to a Ca reactor

I had a timer malfunction with my doser for 2 part 2 weeks ago and have been dosing by hand since. Its getting annoying and im considering switching to a calcium reactor. I read some articles on reactors but still have a few questions. Does it cover both calcium and alk? I also wanted to know how hard they are to tune in, being that my tank is already running with corals and fish. Im considering buying the Bubble Magus Ca Reactor or i would have to buy one used.

The reactor can most definately handle the "Big 3" - Calcium,Mag,Alk. The single thing that could come negatively from the calcium reactor is actually having your PH be lowered b/c of the effluent coming out with a lower PH. A refugium or Kalk dosing can rectify that.

I have seen the Bubble Magus in use and it certainly does the job. Make sure you pickup the second chamber as well. http://www.reefshops.com/ is a company I have ordered from in the past and he has really fast shipping and decent prices.

In the reactor you would use the Calcium Media and Magnesium flakes. I reccomend the 3 part approach to tuning in the calcium reactor.

Step 1
Setup and Install the reactor and do your plumping and start running the reactor for a day or 2 with the media inside but NO Co2 Being pumped in.

Step 2

Start with a low amount of Co2 and wait a day or 2 while testing your main tank's PH and Calcium/Alk/Magnesium levels. Adjust the Co2 Again and get it to a point where you no longer need to do any adjustments and your Calcium/Alk stays the same. I've found magnesium to be Iffy and usually just buffer that as needed. Calc/Alk should remain rock solid. The "adjustment" period should be over well before your Alk or Calc drops to unsafe levels.

If you have a extra PM1 for your apex pickup a BRS PH probe and stick it in the BubbleMagus. Shoot for a PH inside of the reactor of 6 ish which will melt the media. If at anytime stats get out of wack turn off the reactor buffer back to normal and then start again. Its not terribly difficult to tune in but it does require patience and lots of testing.

Step 3 ( I forgot step 3 heh)

Have a SET time period in which you do a test of the "big 3" and don't deviate from it. I did it every 2 weeks after I set up the reactor. Then After it was rock solid every Month I would check those 3 parameters.

Note: I always check a few times after a waterchange using brand new or a different type of salt. I also keep 1 Gallon of Alk and 1 Gallon of Calc mixed up just in case after the water change I need to buffer a little bit to get things back in spec. I leave the calc reactor alone and buffer back w/e was lost during the water change.

Lol ya make sure he sends you the right one with the USA pump.. the second chamber is like 50/60 bucks i think. he is very good with answering email usually early morning or late night usa time. so ask questions before you order.