• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Controllable Pumps and Controller

Can anyone reccomend some pumps that are controllable with the ability to adjust their speed or maybe all controllable pumps have speed control.

Im not spending that much money on a vortech so i need some other suggestions. I am trying to create a wave effect in my tank and was looking for suggestions.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Sorry to say, the cheapest ones around are the new controllable Koralia's. For the price of two of them and the controller you can get one Vortech.

Gonna tag along here. I have been tossing around the Koralia vs. Vortech question and am leaning to the one Vortech. Any opinions?

In november tunze comes out with a nano wave box.

I'm going to pick that up. As of now I'm not gonna spend money on a vortech and the koralias the controller is to damn expensive.

Anyone know of an another pumps that are controlable or know of any for sale used?

Why don't you go with JBJ 2 pump wave controller or seios. Vortech and korilias might be overkill for your 30G. I have vortech and personally I don't think they are worth the hype.

roadking05 said:
I have vortech and personally I don't think they are worth the hype.

Dan, what don't you like about the Vortech's? I need some negative feedback before I break down and order them.

I have all the Koralias, I have the small tunze with controller, i have the big tunze, and I have the vortech. I like the vortech the best. it is in my 75 gal tank and it makes such giant pulsing waves, that i had to turn it down. the second fav is the big tunze.
renee

Renee what small tunze do u have and what are the speeds you can set it at.

My 30 breeder sits with the short side against the wall. Its like an island tank. Im batteling bad algea on the far side.

One vortech is 400 bucks plus a 200 controller even with the 15% its still alot.

Even if is i get two tunze nano streams i have to get the bigger ones to use on a controller and have to dial them down. Am i right?

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReeferNets said:
Renee what small tunze do u have and what are the speeds you can set it at.

My 30 breeder sits with the short side against the wall. Its like an island tank. Im batteling bad algea on the far side.

One vortech is 400 bucks plus a 200 controller even with the 15% its still alot.

Even if is i get two tunze nano streams i have to get the bigger ones to use on a controller and have to dial them down. Am i right?
What controller are you talking about. The new Vortechs have a wireless controller built in. There's nothing more you need to buy.

Bob

Well I'm gonna start saving my pennies for the Vortech. Not sure if I've just bought into the hype or not but the MACNAA vid I saw sold me. I figure one will be enough for my 120 when you add my closed loop and return flow. Might even have to dial it down a notch.

sgarron said:
roadking05 said:
I have vortech and personally I don't think they are worth the hype.

Dan, what don't you like about the Vortech's? I need some negative feedback before I break down and order them.
They are noisy (Yes,vortech is lined correctly) and can't control direction of the flow. My power adapter was bad when I recieve it. Only thing good about it is customer service. IceCap is top notch with CS. Reason I bought it was for 30hrs of battery backup, but way the things are going with my tank, I don't even care anymore.

Does anyone have the larger nano streams or seio on a controller.

The tunze nano wavebox is going to be around 400 so buying a vortech is out of the question

I'm lookin for a cheaper answer to my flow problems.Cheaper being relative to 400 bucks for a vortech

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Singlemalt said:
Hmmm well that's enough to get a guy thinking.....$420 is a lot to spend on something I might not be satisfied with
Single

If you don't need it right away wait for the next group buy. The Vortech would cost you $357. If you didn't like it you could still sell it and probably make some money. My Vortech is in a 46g tank dialed back but I'm ready for future upgrades. Noise wasn't an issue once the unit was aligned. I'm with Renee when I do upgrade there will be another Vortech in my future!

Bob

Bob