• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Converting AC 30

Looking for all the help I could get to convert the AC powerfilter to a refugium for my 30 gallon saltwater tank ill be cycling soon, so anyone with some tips let me know how to do this, im a newbie when it comes to this.

It doesn't take a lot of space for the cheato to make a dif. I found an area maybe 8Lx1.5Wx3D made a big difference on my 24G tank. I don't know the size of the AC 30 either though. The amount of water going through he has a fair amount of movement plus a Rio nano skimmer on there so it is a nice extra bit of help to have.

i would do a AC500...the biggest aquaclear...that way you can put the heater in there too...or you can do a cpr fuge...you can even find a fuge on ebay for cheap...
but a AC30 is kinda small and wont have much room for the chaeto to grow...
you might as well slap on a phosban reactor and it will do more justice than a small bunch of chaeto

Agreed but he already has the 30 in the house. So like the rest of us with a bunch of equipment laying around he is trying to put it to use. In nano tanks I have seen guys use a sponge holder for cheato, is it the best solution no probably not but I think every bit helps.

i understand using what you got....
im just throwing out the thought that hes gonna ditch the AC30 anyways for something bigger...better to do it now than later...it will save time and $