• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

coral banded shrimp... good idea or bad idea in my reef?

I really like the look of the coral banded shrimp, but what I'm reading seems to contradict itself. Some sites & people say they keep them w/o any issue with all sizes of fish and even other shrimp, others say no small fish is safe in a tank with them.

If I got one it would be going into my 70g, smallest fish in there would be the firefish or the royal gramma.

Thanks for any insight!

Candi

Candi..I too have seen and heard mixed stories about CBS. My experience over the years has been positive with regard to their compatibility with fish. Never saw one attack a fish. Your particular fishes will be OK.

I have one CBS in my 135 reef and it has grown quite large and has gotten along with my randall and watchman gobies as well as a couple of smaller fairy wrasses and the snails, crabs, micro stars. Note that I do not have any other shrimp in the tank at present.

One thing I know for sure...do not put more than one in the tank since they will find each other and one will die. I know that people claim success in keeping mated pairs and I have even seen it myself. Yet my recent experience with a pair if Yellow CBS from the last group buy makes me believe even this is hit or miss. A mated pair arrived in the same bag and were fine...I acclimated them together in a holding tank within my main reef for a week or so and they were fine,,,However, when I placed them together into a newly set up nano tank, they went for each other and after a while, one died.

Hope this helps.

Dom

C

concept3

Had one a long time ago, but was in the rocks most of the time. Like most shrimp, they are opportunistic feeders and MAY go for a sick or injured fish that you may have small enough to be picked on. Mine didn't really bother anyone, and was actually helping out with fish cleansing chores. He took the left side of the tank and my other cleaner took the right, they never went to the middle of the tank together

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Sounds like it should work out, I'll proceed with caution and be sure to keep him well fed. I'll update with how it goes :)

Candi

My CBS is going on 3 years old and is feisty to say the least. He/She loves to go after my 4" purple tang but just can't quite catch up to him. I've lost many a chromis to him. The only fish that the shrimp wont mess with is a fire clown (which by the way takes a bite out of me every chance he gets).

So I guess what I'm saying is I would not recommend a CBS if you want to have docile / chromis size fish in your tank. The CBS will eventually get them.

My CBS leaves everyone alone. One thing that happened to him was he got stuck to a powerhead intake and lost EVERY appendage. He could not move at all for a good 2 weeks until he molted again. I picked him up and put him right in front of the tank so I could spot feed him. Needless to say, he has molted several times and looks great now. He also stays on the other side of the tank away from the powerhead now.

IrradiatedReef said:
My CBS leaves everyone alone. One thing that happened to him was he got stuck to a powerhead intake and lost EVERY appendage. He could not move at all for a good 2 weeks until he molted again. I picked him up and put him right in front of the tank so I could spot feed him. Needless to say, he has molted several times and looks great now. He also stays on the other side of the tank away from the powerhead now.

Wow, a shrimp that can learn from his mistakes! I wonder why humans can't do that as well???? :)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have CBS and it hasn't bothered anything in my tank. It comes out at night and when it smells food.