• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Coral Food Recommendations

I use reef Roids and TLF Marine snow. My phosphates hover at 2 ppb so no issues there. I also from time to time just stir up my sump and the return pumps the detritus into the tank feeding my corals. I also feed my larger corals white worms

Reef roids it’s great but spikes your phosphate too high. I would try AB+ reef energy wish it’s going to be easier on your phosphates.
I have them both right now but only use reef roids like 2 to 3 times a month now

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Reef roids it’s great but spikes your phosphate too high. I would try AB+ reef energy wish it’s going to be easier on your phosphates.
I have them both right now but only use reef roids like 2 to 3 times a month now
I switched from Reefroids to Benepets and have no more issues with phosphates. Has anyone heard of/ used Marc Weiss reef bugs?

Guess I’m gonna order AB+ since I can put in doser. Just read their new formula can be out of fridge for a week. Now I need to find a single head doser

I’ll keep putting some reef roids here and there as I noticed better results then AB+ but AB+ its easier to keep lower phosphates level.

Kamoer Micro is single and around $60 on Amazon.
I have credit at Marine Depot so I can get it there plus it’s Bluetooth which I like.
For now I found my Jebao Dp4 I forgot about tucked in closet. Gonna use that. Ordered Ab+ I am in process of finding a good place To put doser and run lines

I’ll keep putting some reef roids here and there as I noticed better results then AB+ but AB+ its easier to keep lower phosphates level.
So thanks to you I set up my doser amd will be dosing AB+ as soon as I get it. Since I have 50 gallons of water I will dose approx 8ml every night. This handy dandy Neptune calibration fluid container will be my weeks supply of coral food which will dump into my return section of tank directly above pump

Attachments

• 0273B651-1C7F-42BF-8A7C-5848BB8C83C9.jpeg
    0273B651-1C7F-42BF-8A7C-5848BB8C83C9.jpeg
    686.5 KB · Views: 9
So thanks to you I set up my doser amd will be dosing AB+ as soon as I get it. Since I have 50 gallons of water I will dose approx 8ml every night. This handy dandy Neptune calibration fluid container will be my weeks supply of coral food which will dump into my return section of tank directly above pump

Good
In system like ours it’s very difficult to keep low phosphate..
I have a 45 gallons tank.
in my next tank I’ll make sure I get a good sump.
The more water in your sump the better

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Maybe I'm a sucker for good reviews- I bought some ReefBurger- going to give it a try as a supplement to reef Roids/ benepets

Attachments

• P6220143.JPG
    P6220143.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
  • P6220141.JPG
    P6220141.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • P6220140.JPG
    P6220140.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 4

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I don't see a way to edit a post, but had a couple of thoughts on the reefburger-it's live microbes, doesn't affect any other type of food/ feeding. You put in tank water about a half hour before use- so I can use it for those filter feeders who dine after dark with no spot feeding- I'll see I guess

Maybe I'm a sucker for good reviews- I bought some ReefBurger- going to give it a try as a supplement to reef Roids/ benepets
Just spent a couple minutes of my life googling this stuff called ReefBurger... I mean sure it could be some sort of burger patty looking block that you chip away it and feed your tank... Or just some restaurant in Florida

Curious to know how this stuff works for you though. I currently dose Acropower on Wednesdays and AB+ on Sundays. I went way overboard when I first got AB+ just dosing 1/2 recommended daily and got the worst cyano outbreak I've ever had. Always best to take it easy.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I spot feed goni torches and other lps reef roids but only once a week or so to keep pho’s from spiking. Also use reef energy a+b couple times a week, but seem to get the best results by keeping pho’s low and dosing nitrate and keeping it around 10

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Just spent a couple minutes of my life googling this stuff called ReefBurger... I mean sure it could be some sort of burger patty looking block that you chip away it and feed your tank... Or just some restaurant in Florida

Curious to know how this stuff works for you though. I currently dose Acropower on Wednesdays and AB+ on Sundays. I went way overboard when I first got AB+ just dosing 1/2 recommended daily and got the worst cyano outbreak I've ever had. Always best to take it easy.
LOL, it's a powder- smells like yeast- I'll keep you posted though

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I spot feed goni torches and other lps reef roids but only once a week or so to keep pho’s from spiking. Also use reef energy a+b couple times a week, but seem to get the best results by keeping pho’s low and dosing nitrate and keeping it around 10
Try benepets- it's finer and doesn't seem to affect phosphates

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Used everything in the past few years.
Settled on ReefRoids and/or Coral Frenzy, but they were messy and added to detritus and phosphates.
Totally sold on RedSea AB+ with first use, no phosphate spikes, corals love it, no waste, dissipates and breaks down into aminos or such for the tank if not eaten or some such sciency thing like that.
Got some serious activity and polyp extension when dosing, and growth and colors were off the wall.
Its a bit pricey and needs to be refrigerated, so you cant auto dose it, but a few mils a day (or 1 larger dose weekly) isn't too much hassle.