• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Coral Loss - Fallow Period

Adam L

NJRC Member
So folks, long story short I‘m six weeks into a fallow period to try and wipe out an ich problem. Parameters were bouncing around for several weeks, alk, calcium, nitrate, phosphate. I seemed to have finally gotten things stable but all the bouncing around is now taking it’s toll. Lost a pink tip torch, most of my montis are doing poorly, as are two of my blasto colonies, but strangely my acros are mostly okay. Any helpful suggestions or do I just need to stick it out, test and wait out the next four weeks until I can add back all my fish?

Rueric

NJRC Member
Why were the parameters bouncing around?
How are the nutrients (nitrate/phosphate) during this fallow period?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My alk and calc were bouncing around as well and caused some havoc on coral. I just adjusted dosing slowly to get proper levels; all you can do is wait it out IMO. Drastic changes will be just as bad for the coral.

Adam L

NJRC Member
I almost think now that I have some stability adding fish back to early will not only potentially not address ich but introduce more instability in n03 and p04 which I think is a primary issue.

Patience man it’s all you can do I literally almost start it from new in may with just a few Zoanthids that survive the transfer, doing anything to an Establish system like taking the food away (fish) would affect that system in one or another way!!