• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Coraline disappeared

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Strangest thing I have every seen in the 15 years I have been doing salt water tanks....

My 90 gallon tank back was covered with coraline and I have never had an issue growing it everywhere. Have to scrape from the sides all the time.

I woke up this morning and over 75% of the coraline on the back wall is gone. Not flaked away and lying in the sand, just plain GONE.

Checked my params and can't find anything different.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Phos: .05
CA: 420
ALK: 9
MG: 1350

Tested with Lamotte, API and Saliphert, all close enough to each other to confirm accuracy.

I use 2 part solution with a medical dual doser pump, and nothing has changed in the tank for a long time. I am a creature of habit and test params every week, and any time something doesn't look right and the params have been that same for a long long time.

Lighting is 8 blub T5 on a 12 hour schedule with 10 hours of total white light.

Corals and fish seem to look fine.

I am not going to stress over it, just curious if anyone has ever seen this before.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's really weird, I wish I had that problem. I'm curious to see if there is an explanation.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have you checked the calibration on the PH probe? If it's actually lower than what its reading, that could be contributing to whatever caused the coralline to dissolve. Just a guess.

My thought is that you may have some livestock that's taken to eating it. I've seen tangs and angels really clean it off. Another though might be if the tank is in a room where it gets cold at night. The heater may keep the water temp up, but the outside of the might still be cooler than it was in the summer.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RichT said:
Have you checked the calibration on the PH probe? If it's actually lower than what its reading, that could be contributing to whatever caused the coralline to dissolve. Just a guess.

Probe was calibrated when I noticed the problem, and it was right on. Mostly 8.15 during the day.