• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

coraline? growth on tank sides

i've seen other tanks with coralline/coraline( not sure if i spelled it right or even if thats what its called) so please correct me if i'm wrong...
anyway, i've seen other tanks with this growth on the back and sometimes the sides of their tanks---whatever its called, is this supposed to be left growing on the sides or is it the preference of the tank owner
cause, if i set up my 125 ,or bigger, if i go that route, to me i would want all 4 sides clean ,is'nt that the purpose of setting up a salt water fish tank, so you can watch and look at whats inside
steve

Totally your choice. I am able to view three sides of my tank so I keep those sides clean. I use a mag float and when coraline grows on it I use the scrapper. I don't worry about the back walls or the overflows.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I know Coralline Algae is good because it's keeps other algae, bad algae, from growing ... and it looks good too. For it to be on the glass or back of the tank/overflows really is just a look that some people like.

I would love to get some coraline algae to grow anywhere as long as it's not on the 2 sides of my tank that I look through.

I like the look of coraline. and i mostly only scrape it off the front and maybe the one side if i get to it but the back i never have touched this way you can't really see the pipes and overflow box.
But it's all up to how you want it to look,
Nick