• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Corals not happy

My Zoas and Duncan have been closed for a few weeks and I’m out of ideas. Water change two days ago. Salinity is off by about plus 5ppm. Other water tests were done with Red Sea Marine care kit and we’re within range. Feeding with Reef Energy AB+. This is the second attempt with zoas and Duncan . I don’t have a clue what to do anymore. Going to rent a PAR meter in a week, running Reef Brite LumiPro, 1- 50/50 and 3 Actinic at different times but not all at once and not full power, more towards the lower spectrum. Not getting any real advice from BRS site. HELP and thank you in advance!

Attachments

• A552C4E1-91B8-42E4-9972-16BEB0B7126F.jpeg
    A552C4E1-91B8-42E4-9972-16BEB0B7126F.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 27
  • E88FB50A-6239-430E-BD6E-92240EEA76E9.png
    E88FB50A-6239-430E-BD6E-92240EEA76E9.png
    427.9 KB · Views: 26
What is your alkalinity also. Post all of your numbers to rule that out. Also how much flow are they getting could be too much

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I agree w everyone. post the parameters. also, post a full tank shot so we can see where exactly everything is. zoos and duncans are fairly easy to keep, so placement may have something to do with them not opening. but we also need the parameters to make sure all is up to par

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Keep in mind they're more comfortable in 'dirty water' and prefer lower flow and moderate light. They tend to do well in larger tanks with mixed reefs if you tuck them away, but once you downsize the tank, say 60g or lower, they tend to need slightly 'dirtier' water and a bit less husbandry.

When I've run more exotic SPS in smaller tanks, I've always had problems when adding zoas, and duncans especially, as I tended to keep the water as pristine as possible, high lighting, and super flow. Eliminating some skimmer time, decreasing flow, placing the zoas in lower light areas, and having a bit of phosphates in the water tended to help considerably. Of course, this effects the SPS and you'll lose some overall growth and health. Establishing that balance in a small tank is a juggling act.

On the other end, where I've had smaller tanks that started with zoas, and I added some tolerant SPS (horn, birdnest, stylo) and made some small adjustments for them slowly (some increased skimming, some increase in flow and light, 2g WC per week), the zoas adapted and did fairly well).

In my current 30g zoa/paly only tank I have no skimmer, moderate light and flow, and very rarely do water changes, and the zoas are doing fantastic. I have one overly tolerant SPS in there that is doing well, but I'm aware that any other SPS I add to the tank is most likely doomed.

If SPS are Felix, zoas are Oscar, and if you get that you're probably my age.

Last edited:
Keep in mind they're more comfortable in 'dirty water' and prefer lower flow and moderate light. They tend to do well in larger tanks with mixed reefs if you tuck them away, but once you downsize the tank, say 60g or lower, they tend to need slightly 'dirtier' water and a bit less husbandry.

When I've run more exotic SPS in smaller tanks, I've always had problems when adding zoas, and duncans especially, as I tended to keep the water as pristine as possible, high lighting, and super flow. Eliminating some skimmer time, decreasing flow, placing the zoas in lower light areas, and having a bit of phosphates in the water tended to help considerably. Of course, this effects the SPS and you'll lose some overall growth and health. Establishing that balance in a small tank is a juggling act.

On the other end, where I've had smaller tanks that started with zoas, and I added some tolerant SPS (horn, birdnest, stylo) and made some small adjustments for them slowly (some increased skimming, some increase in flow and light, 2g WC per week), the zoas adapted and did fairly well).

In my current 30g zoa/paly only tank I have no skimmer, moderate light and flow, and very rarely do water changes, and the zoas are doing fantastic. I have one overly tolerant SPS in there that is doing well, but I'm aware that any other SPS I add to the tank is most likely doomed.

If SPS are Felix, zoas are Oscar, and if you get that you're probably my age.
I didn't forget about this thread! Im waiting for the phosphate test to get here so I ca give as much info as possible!

I agree w everyone. post the parameters. also, post a full tank shot so we can see where exactly everything is. zoos and duncans are fairly easy to keep, so placement may have something to do with them not opening. but we also need the parameters to make sure all is up to par
I didn't forget about this thread! Im waiting for the phosphate test to get here so I ca give as much info as possible!

What is your alkalinity also. Post all of your numbers to rule that out. Also how much flow are they getting could be too much

Ok, here we go!
Ammonia - 0
Alkalinity - Red Sea results = 5
Hanna meter = 8.6
ph .......... - 8.2
Nitrate - NO3 - 30
Nitrite - NO2 - 0.05
Phosphate - 0.5

Ok, here we go!
Ammonia - 0
Hanna meter = 8.6
ph .......... - 8.2
Nitrate - NO3 - 30
Nitrite - NO2 - 0.05
Phosphate - 0.5
Salinity - 34.9

Ok, here we go!
Ammonia - 0
Hanna meter = 8.6
ph .......... - 8.2
Nitrate - NO3 - 30
Nitrite - NO2 - 0.05
Phosphate - 0.5
Salinity - 34.9