• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cover for Mega Flow Overflow Box

Has anyone made a cover for the overflow box on your Mega Flow box? I am getting tired of taking cleaning the algae out of it. If so, what is the best way and materials? I figure if I block the light I will stop the algae.

Thanks,
Ken

C

concept3

Just use a small piece of acylic. You can get the opaque ones too.

black acrylic, i have 1/8" and it helps but light still gets through i would recommend the 1/4" black acrylic that doesn't allow any light at all through

Thanks. How do i get it to sit on top though? Both the standpipe and return pipe are above the top of the overflow box.
Ken

C

concept3

cut a slit or hole large enough for the acrylic to slide in or go in from the top. I did it on mine, wish i was home to take a pic for you, but only have internet at work :(

I use corrugated plastic board in black. You can purchase it a Rag Shop or Michael's its in the arts and craft area where you would buy Oak Tag sheets. Its easy to cut into any shape and holes are easy to cut out with a razor knife

I just keep the light strip forward a bit. This way the light is certered in the tank and only the actinics make it part way down the hole.

malulu

NJRC Member
This is what i used, but for different purpose... was for prevent Snails crawling inside...
hope this help.
;D

I buy TWO of this from Dollar Store, and cut them in half:
332_05_06_07_9_52_24_0.jpg

Put them together by tie-wrap:
332_05_06_07_9_52_24_1.jpg

This is the overflow (BEFORE):
332_05_06_07_9_52_25_2.jpg

This is the overflow (AFTER), they just sit on top, not glue or tie by anything:
332_05_06_07_9_52_25_3.jpg