• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Crab trap

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I am trying to catch a Mithrax crab in ny DT. He eats much algea but has been nipping at my Pavona frag and green toadstool frag. It stays in the rocks so I can't net it out. Anyone know how to build a trap to catch it? I don't the othet fish ton be able to go inside it.

Thanks,
Mark

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Easiest way is to take a drinking glass and lean it against the rock he is in. Drop a little food in and see what happens. The crab will fall in to get the food and the smooth sides won't allow him to climb out.

Of course a sharpened wood skewer works well too.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have a nice metal skewer from BBQ set. Thanks
Just kidding. I'll try thr glass idea.

typically i've always caught crabs when they venture out at night for food. if you can pinpoint where it is - you could place some food near the LR and position a pair of pinchers/tongs above - and just wait.

The other option is to remove the LR in question and skewer it out.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I actually netted, yes I caught it with a net 4:00 this morning. It was out crawling through some Anthellia I was able to sneak up on it.