• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Crazy torch

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Have had massive growth of my green/gold torch over past few months, bout 5-6 heads at this point and bigger than a softball.
First torch I've really owned, now I'm thinking this may overcome my zoo addiction.

IMG_5353.jpg
IMG_5357.jpg

Problem is its getting too big for the tank.
Its actually so tall the arms are skimming the surface.

Is it worth an attempt to frag it down?

Torches can be tough to frag. I have found they don't take to fragging quite as easily as other LPS like hammers and frogspawn. However if it is getting too big it will absolutely sting anything in its path so it may be worth trying to frag it up. Just make sure you are away from the flesh as much as possible.

You can also slow the flow down in that area of your tank which "may" reduce the size of the torch. Faster the flow usually the larger it will spread out but that is not always the case.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Have had massive growth of my green/gold torch over past few months, bout 5-6 heads at this point and bigger than a softball.
First torch I've really owned, now I'm thinking this may overcome my zoo addiction.

View attachment 45615
View attachment 45616

If you decide to frag I have Coral Dip if you need it.

Salted

NJRC Member

View attachment 45615
View attachment 45616

You might talk to @MaximusReef about fragging that.

If you're gonna frag it, just make sure the heads are fully separated and you can get a Dremel in there. As long as you have enough separation, it shouldn't be too hard. Don't wanna use bonecutters cuz they have a habit of shattering the whole skeleton which will kill the head.
100% agree with the bone-cutters I lost a fully separate head like that…

Not sure if he’s still around. I think he shut everything down but he would be the go to guy.
I saw him put his stuff up on craigslist a few months back. Yeah..pretty safe to say he's out. Wow...i think he even removed his name from the forum as his username isnt even searchable now.

My buddy kelvin1007 can cut it as well marc just would have to pm him and agree to something…
I’ll have to put my hands on one of those bandsaw they are so helpful when times like this show up..

erics210

NJRC Member
just killed a 3 head aussie gold torch. SMH
if someone offered for my crap today it would all be gone

about to go do some more testing.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
The only coral I ever fragged was gsp lol, so what do I know. But wouldn't a rotary cutting saw like a Dremel do a good job

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thing has 6, maybe 7 big heads, top is huge and all flesh, probably not the best thing to start cutting without previous practice

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Lost 1 torch head. Didn't realize it moved and galaxea coral stung it. My best guess as that is the closest with feelers always out.

As mentioned above a Dremel with a diamond blade works perfectly for this just have to get the torch to retract which is a pain. A little direct flow in the powerhead helps though then just cut below the flesh where it's skeleton only.

john90009

NJRC Member
Yeah I wouldn’t go cutting anything that’s near tissue. Could also piss the coral off so it starts to die and recedes up the stalk, then stop pissing it off so the retractions stops and then cuts. So basically let me hold onto the torch for a bit in my tank :)