• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Critter bugs eating zoa's

Found out it wasn't my flame angel eating the zoa's, it's little bugs that are. Don't know the name but they look gray and bigger than pods,looks just like the ones that you find under rocks that when you touch them they roll into a ball. Darn things come out only when lights are out. They just eat up some more last 2 nights. What can I do to get rid of them? TIA

Sounds like nudibranchs.

Check out the picture on the bottom of this page.

Read the whole thread about dipping. You will also need to look for eggs.

Good luck!

sorry to hear about this...did you dip your zoa before introducing into the display? It's possible something hitched in accidentally.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They don't normally eat the zoanthids, but they will climb on/around them enough to bother the zoas into staying closed up all the time.

I have a lot of amphidpods and my zoa colony is still growing rapidly. Hardly scientific evidence but either my colony is being eaten but at a rate too small to impact the growth, or amphipods do not eat zoas. Maybe mine are high class diners and don't care for the cheap zoas that no one has a special name for? ;)