• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Curing live rock

OK, getting ready for delivery of our LR group buy. Got a 25 gal. rubbermaid tub, new saltwater mixed, heaters running to get temp up, powerhead and external hang on filter for circulation. Now what, just gotta monitor ammonia and nitrates till they level off? Weekly water change of about 10 gallons sound right? Am I missing anything? How long should it take to cycle and be safe to add to my tank?

C

concept3

i use actinics during curing 6-8 hrs. it inhibits bad algae growth and brings out corraline. i like to throw in kalkwasser in too to calcify the rock

mix up some extra salt water just in case you need to scrub the rock and I used a skimmer but it's not necessary .

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I doubt we'll do any water changes on the rock water. I'm sure we'll light it some (so that we can check for unwanteds, if for nothing else).

C

concept3

To use to cure or what size tank would it fill? That generally depends on the type of rock and the rockwork design you plan. most use the 1.5 to 2 lb per gallon mentality, some more than less...

If it's for curing however, you'll want to place the rock in the biggest possible container to aid curing and water circulation. More water is better IMO. Why not just get some Rubbermaid totes from Lowes or Home Depot? They're around $10-$15 for a 20-30 gallon tote with a lid.

and then after curing your rock, you can pit your miscallenous fish supplies in it like extra carbon, extra powerheads, extra tubing etc etc. Fits nice in a closet too!

yeah I meant for curing, I ended up getting a 35G containner with lid. Its already running with powerhead and heater... Waiting for the rock