• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Custom Cabinet Maker

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Anyone know of a good custom cabinet maker/woodworker in the Monmouth-Ocean County area? I'm looking for someone who can make a canopy like my current one, only nicer.

TIA

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't remember what yours looks like but between you, Sam and me, we can put something together. If you rather have one made, I'll see if my cabinet guy will build a canopy.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I need someone who can make raised panel doors and/or use a 45* biscuit joiner on a mitred edge.

Do you happen to have a
  • 45* biscuit joiner
  • 10" compound sliding miter saw
  • Pocket Hole kit
  • something better than a piano hinge for raising the top

I'm tossing a few designs around and between the tools I'll need and the wood, it might pay to have someone else do it!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mike, I'd like to see some close up of your 3-door system... I'd like to have the front split, but not sure that I can dream up a way to make it "seamless". I'd like to get a quote from your cabinet maker as well... JIC it is the cheaper way to go.

If we were in FL my dad has all those tools and I learned it all from him. I am sure between Mike and me we have enough tools to get the job done BUT you should get a quote from the cabinet maker just incase it is cheaper than the been and food. :D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There's only so much bean I'm going to feed anyone and stay in the same room with them!

JohnS_323 said:
jazzsam said:
Buy me enouph beer and pizza and I will help you build one!

How much extra for me to just sit and watch?!?

That will cost you the "entertainment" fee! Depends if you want me to use a nail gun with the beer or not! (That combination did not work well the last time I tried)

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Usually a cabinet maker is cheaper. He buys bulk Oak,Cherry and whatever. My discount on hardwoods won't match his. I don't have a joiner or a pocket hole kit (have too much experience to need them.) Do have table saws, routers, sliding compound miter saws, 10 different finish and brad nailers,etc....
You can't judge the work by my canopy. I only used a circular saw to cut everything. I had 13 pins in my foot and couldn't drive anywhere to P/U any of my tools, and I built it on my gravel driveway with a cast on. So, yes, I could have made my seams closer and my cuts straighter.
I can't show you the other one I'm making now which is similar because my wife and son wanted to help. What kind of pics. do you want of the 3 door?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
1.jpg

Phyl said:
I need someone who can make raised panel doors and/or use a 45* biscuit joiner on a mitred edge.

Do you happen to have a
  • 45* biscuit joiner
  • 10" compound sliding miter saw
  • Pocket Hole kit
  • something better than a piano hinge for raising the top

I'm tossing a few designs around and between the tools I'll need and the wood, it might pay to have someone else do it!

Well, I have the biscuit joiner and the Pocket kit(haven't seen this lately but I will look) if you want some help.

Jon

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for all of the offers for help. At this point, I'm really looking to see if I can get it done affordably. There is so much going on right now that I don't have the time to put to it to do it right.

Mike, what would you need from me to get a quote from your guy?

Thanks!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A basic design and size will give you an est. Finished plans will get a price.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Got it. I didn't get a chance to look at it good yet. Hafta get back to work. Doing the night shift a few nights this week to make up for taking off Saturdays. I didn't check to see if the inside measurements were on there yet. Meeting him sometime tomorrow. I'll get back to ya later.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here are the two ideas I have:

canopy_both.jpg

The one without doors is similar to my current canopy. The big challenge we had was getting a tight miter joint on the connection of the front and side panels. Also, the diagonal cut running up the sides was a bit of a bear. Of course the one in the corner of the room came out OK, but the one facing the living area was a mess.

Anyway, that's what we're looking for but have no desire to go through the year long process the last one took.