• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Custom Cabinet Maker

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
would I throw a lit match in this stove if my friend Muggsy was in there?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
John LMK when you're sitting down. I got a quote from a custom cabinet maker.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mike, John ran out to help JerseyDiablo with his system, but if you could PM me the *cough* number I'll make sure he's sitting when he gets it!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sitting down didn't help! Holy Cow we're in the wrong business!

OOOOOOHHHHHHH KKKKKAAAAAAAYYYYYY, looks like we're building one ourselves.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ed, you have the 45* biscuit joiner and the pocket joiner thing? Sliding compound miter? I'd love to be able to borrow them :)

Thanks!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mike, can that saw cut a 45* angle on the edge of a 1x12? That was one of the challenges we had last time. If you look at the drawing, the face and sides need to be mitered and that cut was too long for my chop saw. We wound up trying to hold the piece square and guide it through the table saw. That worked OK but that was with a 4' length. I wouldn't even attempt it with a 6' legnth.

Also, do you know if they sell something thinner than 1x12? Like 3/4"x12 or something? The reason for that is that I'm thinking the 1x12 may be too heavy to be practical to use.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry John. I don't know how this post slipped past me.
Yes, my saw will cut 12"
Try calling Monmouth building center in Shrewsbury or a similar lumber yard for prices on 3/4 x 12. I'm ready whenever your ready.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the info Mike. The more Phyl and I thought about it and looked at our options we came up with a better design. The new idea will be using a piece of trim molding in the front (which matches the cabinet). This does 2 things. It eliminates the need for a miter cut and also the need to do that diaganol cut along the side. The whole exterior can be done in 3/8" plywood (top and sides) so that it all matches when stained.

The only thing we're kicking around now is whether or not we want doors on the front. We propably do but I need to find a place that does raised panel doors like the ones we have (probably Lowes or something like that).

Thanks for the offer of help. We'll let you know when we're ready!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The miter cuts on anything is the easiest part . The diag. cut is easy on the side. It's a 22.5 degree cut. I can tell just by the dimensions you posted. You can design it as fancy as yous like.