• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cutting off a mushroom

Ok I know it's stupid question, but it is safe to just cut a mushroom off a piece of rock without removing from the water ? It shouldn't release anything bad in the water, right ?

Thanks
Rich

it will release some stuff into water. yes it's safe depending on what you have (other corals) and the volume of water you have. it's better to do it outside so you can minimize the release of whatever it is they release imho.

No need to cut a mushroom....you can lift right under his foot and he will peel off. He's ultra slimy so be prepared to catch him. I recommend pumps off if you are doing this in tank.

Tweezers is bad advice for mushroom. It damages them where you grab them from and they're too slimy to get a good grip. Dig under their foot with a flat head screwdrive or razor blade.

If you cut it off will it not regenerate and you will have 2 shrooms. I have seen this done and it worked, didn't take long for both to recover ether.

I literally abused the mushrooms I had in my 75. Ripped them out, cut them up, chiseled on 'em, etc - mostly done while in the tank to avoid avalanches. The lesson I learned was that in no time at all I had mushrooms popping up all over the place. Boy are they resilient. :eek:

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I know this is a very old thread, how are the mushrooms doing now? I have some I would like to remove from their current rock, but I don't want to kill them.
thanks.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks Diverrk. I was asking because I have a very, very small piece of rock, about 1" x1" with seven watermelon mushrooms on it. A few of the watermelon mushrooms that were on the rock (at one point it had 9) detached themselves and re-attached to other piece of live rock in my tank, but I have no idea why. I'd like to move a couple of these mushrooms into our 30g nano (right now they are in the 20g)- any advice would be apprieciated.
the NT of MNAT

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NT

Place some LR rubble touching the rock that the mushrooms are on they'll spread to it.

Bob

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
thank you for your help Bob, two of my mushrooms have moved to adjacent pieces of rock so far!