• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cyano bacteria & Bubble Agae

Now that my hair algae is finally under control (or so it seems....it is getting better on a daily basis though), I noticed a tiny spot of Cyano today and I have 3 spots where there is a little bit of bubble algae. :(

I immediately sucked up the Cyano (not by mouth, by syphon), but the bubble algae seems firmly attached. I do have 2 Emerald Crabs, do you think they'll eventually take care of it? Like once they run out of hair algae to eat?

Slowly but surely my LR is coloring up with some coralline, too. Will the coralline algae nip the BAD algae in the butt?

Sorry about all those questions, and thanks in advance.

---
Wendy

JerseyWendy said:
(not by mouth, by syphon)
---
Wendy

Hi Wendy,
Good move! I read you other post about a trip to the hospital.
If you can remove the rock and then scrape off the BA that would be the best way to do it. If you do it in the tank and you pop the bubbles it has a chance of spreading. If you do have to do it in the tank, I would start the siphon over the BA and then pick it off.
As for the crabs, some will eat it some will not, but I never had any luck with them eating it.

Jon

demon16v said:
JerseyWendy said:
(not by mouth, by syphon)
---
Wendy

Hi Wendy,
Good move! I read you other post about a trip to the hospital.
If you can remove the rock and then scrape off the BA that would be the best way to do it. If you do it in the tank and you pop the bubbles it has a chance of spreading. If you do have to do it in the tank, I would start the siphon over the BA and then pick it off.
As for the crabs, some will eat it some will not, but I never had any luck with them eating it.

Jon

LOL, yep, I know better now than to keep my mouth on the hose for too long.

The rock that has some of the bubble algae is located in a spot where it'll be a major PITA to remove it, so I think I'll try the scraping with the syphon on.

Thanks so much, Jon. :)

---
Wendy

My emeralds LOVE bubble algea, or did anyway, not its all gone :) They don't seem to like hair algae though, what an annoyance....

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The cyano will be another part of the cycle process. You may have patches come and go. The 30 cube I have just started was COVERED in it. But after about 6 weeks it went away.

The scrubbing idea for the bubble algae is great. I use to take the tube of the siphon and stick it right on the bubbles if they were large. It would cause a vacuum and I was able to rip the bubbles right off the rock. In the event one would break, it just got sucked right up the hose.

Good Luck! :)