• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cyano - Can't get rid of it!

I haven't had a problem in a very long time. Now all of a sudden I have had a cyano outbreak for at least a month. I am currently using my 4th dose of Red Slime Remover. It always comes back within a week or less. I have done a ton of water changes, running skimmer, running Chemipure Blue, RO water is clean. No new additions to the tank. Any other ideas?

horseplay

NJRC Member
I have had the same problem recently. Did too much carbon dosing. Chemipure clean does not work as effective before. I simply blow it off the rocks and catch it in a filter socks on a daily basis. In the meantime, do everything per usual it eventually fixed itself. I still have a little but not much. Best thing to do is nothing. Don't do too much water changes. Keep an eye on nutrient levels, not too high not too low.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I have had the same problem recently. Did too much carbon dosing. Chemipure clean does not work as effective before. I simply blow it off the rocks and catch it in a filter socks on a daily basis. In the meantime, do everything per usual it eventually fixed itself. I still have a little but not much. Best thing to do is nothing. Don't do too much water changes. Keep an eye on nutrient levels, not too high not too low.
This was my problem carbon dosing dropped nitrates really low and I had to bring them back up.
I used live rock enhance for 4 weeks as needed and they slowly went away.i did a water change to clean sand bed at 3 weeks and seems to be good. I ll keep my fingers crossed.
I never seen my glass so clean!!

Are you sure it's not dinos?

Definitely not dinos.

Nitrate and phosphate levels?

Don't know...No test kits lol

You aren't lying that Chemiclean doesn't work like it used to. I used it once years ago in my 180 and it killed it and never came back.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Chemi clean works. Have to add lots of air while using

I have used it many times in the past. I think if your tank is doing ok and you have some cyano then chemi clean will clean your tank really good. However in my last situation there was still residual carbon (vodka + vinegar) in the tank the cyano would come right back.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I have used it many times in the past. I think if your tank is doing ok and you have some cyano then chemi clean will clean your tank really good. However in my last situation there was still residual carbon (vodka + vinegar) in the tank the cyano would come right back.
Yes I can, you can run a second dose after a week or two. Worked miracles for me.
Your carbon dosing, and I have to dose nitrate and phosphate to have detectable levels. Crazy how tanks can be so different.