• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cyano or diatoms??

L
Sorry if I over comment :( at those numbers I’d use chemiclean or do a few days lights out.
It’s funny you say that... a half hour ago I ordered chemiclean elite. It will be here Wednesday.

So tomorrow 20% water change, lights out for three days and chemiclean elite on Wednesday.
Fingers crossed !!!!

All blacked out! I get a lot of natural sunlight in my place so I’m hoping this works. Chemiclean elite is also arriving today, a day early. Thankyou Amazon.

Attachments

• F8D4597B-8688-447C-A748-4F5951E12463.jpeg
    F8D4597B-8688-447C-A748-4F5951E12463.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 3

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I taped mine up using the black poster board from the Dollar store; then threw a sheet over it.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon
I’m going through the same issue not sure what I have.. however after reading a lot of articles and endless YouTube videos synod feed off of silicates so I stopped water changes I added a UV to my system and it seems like it has slowed down.. I am cleaning of the surfaces of the rock and glass via syphoning off everything into a sock in the sump and than washing .. I believe my issue started with low nutrients 0 phosphates and nitrates

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
I’ve remained a little silent because I didn’t want to speak too soon... After doing a 3 day blackout and added chemipure Elite to my sump things have cleared up nicely. I’m now running rowaphos and chemipure to try and keep my phosphates and silicates low. It’s not perfect but it’s 90% better. I honestly believe it’s always going to be a little extra for me to keep my tank bright and shiny because my tap water is tough to strip down. The best results that I can get it to is .04 phosphates. That’s after adding an extra ro/di canister to my ro/di unit. Anyway, thanks for the input everyone and For now things are looking as good as they possibly can.

Attachments

• 75B5F43A-7C16-49A0-802B-9BE6F1BD1B71.jpeg
    75B5F43A-7C16-49A0-802B-9BE6F1BD1B71.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 9
Quick update. It’s been about two weeks since I did the 72 hour blackout and my tank has responded amazingly. On top of blacking out my tank I added chemipure elite and really trimmed back my chaeto in my sump. The diatoms/cyano are almost nonexistent now. My phosphates went from .13 to .07 and I’m not sure what to chalk that up to: either the chemipure elite or maybe trimming the chaeto back. Or maybe a mixture of both... But, my corals and the clarity of my tank is the best they have ever been and the nuisance algae that use to grow on the back wall and the live rock is 98% gone!!! I haven’t been this proud of my tank in a long time.

Last edited: