• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cycling a Refugium

arvin

NJRC Member
blange3 said:
Sorry if I missed this above, what is in the fuge? Will it have sand or rock or macro when you bring it online? All of the above? Some of the above? Or are you just connecting it with water only and adding the other things later?
It is a 75 gallon tank with about 4 to 5 inches of non-live sand that I picked up from Homedepot. I added about three cups of live sand from display just yesterday to seed it. I also moved some live rock from my display to the fuge since I felt the display was too crowded.

I am expecting a shipment of more live sand next week. Depending on the quality of the sand I am going to divide it between the display tank and the fuge.

blange3 said:
I would be comfortable adding new saltwater if it was mixed from the same salt and RODI source as you have been using; and the temp, SG, ph, alk match. Also make sure that it has been thoroughly mixed and aerated for at least a full day.

Same salt (reef crystals), same rodi source, same temp, same sg & alk. I have not tested PH on the fuge yet, but I will before hooking it up. It has been mixed well and being aerated since last four days.

Thanks Bill, for the response. Do let me know if you have more questions.