• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

David's 90G upgrade

After losing my orginal thread with the hosting "issue" I guess it is time to start over.

Quick History: Had a 29g JBJ for 3 years and upgraded to a 90 gallon in April. So now after 5 months, here is where I am at.

IMAG0352.jpg

IMAG0349.jpg

Just added my last fish (probably) 2 weeks ago:
Current Fish:
1) Blue Mandarin (Had 3 years)
2) B&W Clown (Had 3.5 years)
3) True Perc Clown (Had 8 months)
4) Green Banded Goby (Had 3.5 years)
5) Yellow Watchman Goby (Had 4 months)
6) Yellow Tang (Had 2 months)
7) Lawnmower Blenny (Had 1 month)
8) Firefish (Had 3 months)
9) Green Chromis (Had 4 months)
10) Six Line Wrasse (Had 3 months)
11) One Spot Foxface (Had 2 weeks)

Overall I am very happy with how the upgrade is going. (Just need things to grow faster now :) )

Thanks. I used mostly dead rock (1/2 Pukani from BRS and 1/2 Key Largo from Marco Rocks) and was able to play around with it before I put in the water. The right side of the tank was all the rock from the 29 gallon that I transferred. Here is a picture of the new stuff before the water.
IMAG0126.jpg

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Hey David
Glad to see you back – looking good! - we may have kicked off around the same time but your live stock has left me in the dust - at least I can think about the fact that you had a few years head start with the nano :)
Anyway, I had a question. I have some fish in QT so I ask this for a ways out into the future but I’ve had my eye on two fish to add - a Mandarin and a sixline. I see you've had your mandarin and at least one of the other gobys for a few years. How have you managed their diet? Do they eat prepared foods? Any issue when you added the wrasse if they are both eating pods?
And as long as I'm asking, and I know it's rather soon, but what are your thoughts of the foxface? I have one in my QT - came as part of a package. I was thinking it might be too large for me to keep given the rest of what I have, and leaving room to add a few things (like the two I just mentioned) but it is healthy and a good eater, and in my QT so, I'm back and forth. My wife's also nervous about the poisonous aspects with the kids and all (and to be honest, I'm not crazy about sticking my hand in to rearrange or clean and have an issue) Just wondering on what your thoughts were.....

Having the 29g definetly sped things up. (With the livestock, live rock and the 3 years of experience).

The Mandarin: I really wanted this fish and did a TON of research. The general consensus is not to put one in anything under like a 55 gallon. After reading some success stories I found one that ate Mysis shrimp at the store (supposedly the key to keeping them in a smaller tank), so I picked him up. When I got home, I never saw him eat Mysis (or any prepared foods) in the 29 gallon and I was prepared to take him back. I watched him closely and after a few weeks there seemed to be plenty of pods still and he seemed happy (and a little bigger), so I kept him (had him in the nano for 2.5 years before the upgrade). Ironically, now I see him go after Mysis every time I put them in (and there are plenty of pods for him). The six line wrasse also eats pods (and prepared food) and between the two of them, I don't think they make a dent in my pod population. (Having a refugium in the sump is the key I think).

The Foxface: I only have one other "bigger" fish (a yellow tang, and he is only small to medium now), so putting in another "bigger" fish was ok for my setup. (Not to mention, my Foxface is small). I think he is a great fish. I love the way all of my fish interact now and he completed the look for me I guess. I don't put my hands in my tank hardly ever (and I will be very careful when I do) so I am not worried about the poison aspect. (The kids probably wont ever have their hands in your tank so that shouldn't be an issue) Plus they don't "attack", they use their fins for defense, so if your not going after him, it should be fine.

Good for you for doing a qt!!!!! That is the one thing I went against proper protocol. I just didn't really have a place to set one up without the wife getting frustrated. I have been very lucky and hopefully since I don't have to add anymore anytime soon, I will be ok.