• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

David's 90g

Let's try this again. Most of you don't know me as I was never super active on the site. I did put up a tale of the tank thread in 2011 when I first upgraded to my 90 gallon (from a 29g), and was keeping up pretty good, but that is when the site crashed and I lost all of my thread. After that I was too busy to catch up. Hoping to be a little more active now.

I was also too busy to really do more than the bare minimum on my tank. Especially the last 2 years, I really let it go with a broken skimmer (so no skimming), no RO/DI unit so all top offs were with 400 ppm tap water. I did zero water changes. I am not proud of this at ALL!!!! With 3 kids, work, and a major home renovation (lasting over a year), I just was very busy, and I let my tank suffer.

Overall the condition of the tank did not deteriorate as much as one would think after all that. I did have a TON of hair algae basically covering the entire tank and rocks. I did lose a few corals. About 6 months ago, I even suggested to my wife that I should just take it down as it was an eye sore in our living room. And even though she is not really into it at all, she knew how much I loved it and said to keep it.

A couple months later, I finally decided that if I was going to keep it, that I had to do it right. So after 6 weeks of hard work, I am proud to say that I am very happy with the tank again.

The work included, nightly hour long sessions of pulling out hair algae piece by piece. Getting an RO/DI unit and doing weekly 5% water changes. Running Carbon and GFO. Running filter socks again and changing them almost daily as I would blow off the rocks and stir up more detritus than you could ever imagine. I added another powerhead and really amped up and tweaked my flow.

Anyway, so I am embarrassed how I let the tank get, but I am extremely proud of the fact that i "brought it back to life". It now looks pretty good again. I added a couple of fish and a few frags. Everything seems to be flourishing again.

So I figured I would redo a tale of the tank. As I have time I will try and fill in the history of the build.

But for now here are 3 current pictures. (Hoping this is how to post pics)

Front Left (The front and left side are viewable on this tank)
GPJpXB

IMG_7735
Front Right
GPJqEt

IMG_7737
Front
HKonGc

IMG_7738

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Expected to see a semi-disaster but it looks great.

Thanks Guys

It really was an hour or two (5 or 6 nights a week) for almost 8 weeks straight. A ton of manual removal of long hair algae, then the shorter and shorter pieces. Cleaning / Fixing equipment. But, yes, the work is paying off and it is looking better. Now I just need to get some coral growth going and make sure I don't lapse in my maintenance ever again.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looks great!!! If it was as bad as you say you did a great job cleaning it up.

I wish I had taken a picture for the famous "Before" look, but I just wasn't thinking.
But even now, there is still a lot of algae.
2 quick examples:
1 In a cave I can't really get too.
IMG_8178

This one is on my top rock. You can see a large piece caught on an acro, and then a lot in the crevices of the rock that I just can't get.
IMG_8179

I just have to wait for the fish and cleanup crew to help get the small stuff, and hope it starts to melt away with less nutrients in the water. But large pieces will come off (like the piece on the acro) and float around until I remove or they get caught in the filter.