• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dead Fish

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We've put fresh primer/cement into our system with no ill effects. Of course we have quite a bit of water volume.

I think it's definitely from lack of oxygen. Your problem happened after you turned off the pumps overnight. The powerheads were not enough to keep up with oxygen demand. DSB tanks are vulnerable to low oxygen because the bacteria in the bed consume it quickly during a power outage, leaving little or none for the fish and other animals. I don't think hydrogen sulfide is likely. If you had hydrogen sulfide in your tank you'd notice a very strong rotten egg smell.

arvin

NJRC Member
I hooked all the equipment back last night and corrected the excess water flow. I don't see sand storm no more. While I lost all fish, all inverts are doing just fine. I tested the water for PH and it showed a 8.0. I have not tested for anything else. I am going to do it tonight and get a damsel and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone and I'll keep you all updated.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd stick with a Chromis unless you really like mean evil fish. Then the damsel would be perfect!

Very strange.....

With a spike I would have thought that anomones would also bite the dust since they are less forgiving to spikes than fish.

I would check the water perimeters again. Add some cycle bacteria, and let the pumps run. Did you also check if you have any shorts of electricity to your tank water. Overtime the fish will die also. Water especially saltwater is great for a conductor. This to could have killed them. Hopefully you have a grounding rod in your tank or sump. Just a thought....

Attachments

• Santa silver back.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 70
The yellow tail damsels have more of a chromis disposition then a typical damsel. BTW, cromis is a type of damsel as well as clown fish. :)

I'd say the yellow tail damsel is the hardiest "pieceful" fish to try that is cheap. I think they're pretty too.

You can't really go wrong with the blue/green chromis either but they aren't as hardy as the yellow tails.

I second the yellowtail damsel as a nice, non-evil fish, and relatively peaceful. Talbot's damsel also, if you can find them. Chromis are good, but they do bettter in schools.