• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

dead rock

I have some rock that that has been out of water for serveral months and I want to add it to my new tank. It still has a faint odor to it.... What should I do to it before adding to the new tank?

First I would scrub it clean. If it is an established tank I would put it in a bucket with a powerhead of pump at least until it loses the odor. If it is a new tank that hasn't yet cycled I would put it in the tank while it cycles.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I used a ton of dead rock to start my system up. I rinsed it all off really well, then let it cure in the tank. BEWARE...it will stink!

If you can cure it in a seperate container in a garage or basement that would probably be ideal.

I would put it in a separate container/tank and let it go through it's cycle like everone is saying. I am currently converting some "dead rock" in my garage. I have about 85lbs in a 20 gallon tank. Yes 85 in a 20. There looks to be more rock then water LOL.

Mike

Just cure it until the ammonia and nitrites hit ZERO in a separate container as already suggested and you'll be fine.

Not recommended but: If you already have a good amount of rock and bacteria in your present tank you can probably get away with adding one rock at a time even if it hasn't fully cured to your established tank. Just keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrites to make sure it doesn't rise. A good established tank with good bacteria will handle this normally just fine.

Carlo