• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Debating Best Refugium Option for Red Sea 350

Debating on 3 options right now for my Red Sea 350. As anyone who has a red sea, or knows enough about them, there is no pre-designed refugium space in the sump when purchasing this tank set up. Many try to use the ATO as a refugium but I'm not even going to go there.

I've considered the following 3 options but am leaning towards the macro algae reactor. IF anyone has an opinion regarding any of the 3 please let me know.

1) Purchasing a baffle from the UK to install in sump for $120 shipped I found from Instant Ocean UK. This would also require me to sell my current skimmer (classic 150 INT) for a smaller compact skimmer probably another Octo (~$300), on top of the cost for a refugium light etc.
2) Purchasing an external hang on the back refugium that comes with LED light (I'm sure it's not the best light but its a start at a decent cost) ($250-300). I would have to redo my lid or order a new custom one for $50-200 depending if i want DIY or custom.
3) Macroalgae Reactor ~$350.

If anyone has experience with the macro algae reactor I'm interested to hear as I think this is my most cost efficient/easiest install into the tank of the 3. As always, I expect that perhaps it's too good to be true?

I'm running a medium bioload right now with just wc/gfo for nitrates/phosphates. My future plans to go towards a heavy bio load but that is some time away.

Any feedback would be much appreciated friends :)

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I don't know anything about RS 350. If you go the route of a hangon, I have a CPR Aquafuge2 that I have been using since May. I bought it from BRS. I will be getting rid of it as soon as I have my 75g setup. I won't spend the money for the light that you can buy for the Aquafuge2. I have been using a light that I purchased for $21 on Amazon that is water proof and works well.

I don't know anything about RS 350. If you go the route of a hangon, I have a CPR Aquafuge2 that I have been using since May. I bought it from BRS. I will be getting rid of it as soon as I have my 75g setup. I won't spend the money for the light that you can buy for the Aquafuge2. I have been using a light that I purchased for $21 on Amazon that is water proof and works well.

I would probably need the large version for the ~91 gal total system I have but good to know there are other light options beyond what they offer. BUT, this was actually the hang on I was considering purchasing if I went that route so good to know someone else has used it and likes it. I wish fish didn't like to jump so much so I could just go lidless but too much $$$ lost to hope haha.

I use a hang-on refugium from BRS and replaced the strip light with a clip-on flood light from Home Depot. Works a lot better! I use indoor/outdoor floor bulbs and growth has been great. Only complaint is the chaeto near the surface gets burnt and stringy, So I discard from the top down. the bulb blew last week so I put in a plant growth bulb from Home Depot to see how that goes.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have used the HOB fuge from CPR in the past on smaller tanks and it always ran pretty well. I would also NOT get the light they sell, we use and amazon special on our 60g fuge and it was less than 100$. Fuge lights don't have to be anything fancy.

I have used the HOB fuge from CPR in the past on smaller tanks and it always ran pretty well. I would also NOT get the light they sell, we use and amazon special on our 60g fuge and it was less than 100$. Fuge lights don't have to be anything fancy.

The CPR hob fuge "medium" is too long to sit on the back of the RSR 350. The glass in the back is divided by the overflow bow smack in the middle and only allows me ~18" of space to hang something.

I've been looking into the aquamaxx hob ref because it will fit, and I do like the design of not having the pump in the tank, I'm just hoping it will handle a 100g medium bioload because it is smaller overall than the CPR medium hob refugium.

RSR always has to make it difficult haha